|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|504||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
of the Republican party, and for the past thirty-five years has taken a most prominent part in the political affairs of the county. He has several times been chairman of the Republican county committee; has been elected to and filled the office of burgess of Ebensburg at various times; for more than twenty years has been a member of the town council of Ebensburg; was elected county treasurer of Cambria county for a term of three years in 1893; and in 1896 was a delegate at large at the Republican national convention held at St. Louis, Missouri, in the campaign of McKinley and Hobart. He is a member, trustee and elder of the Presbyterian church of Ebensburg. He is also connected with the following fraternal organizations: Summit Lodge, No. 312, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ebensburg; Portage Chapter, No. 195, Royal Arch Masons, of Johnstown; Kedron Commandery, No. 18, of Greensburg; Highland Lodge, No. 428, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Ebensburg; and Captain John M. Jones Post, No. 556, Grand Army of the Republic, of Ebensburg.
Mr. Barker married, February 8, 1870, Maggie A. Zahm, daughter of George C. K. and Elizabeth Zahm, of Ebensburg, and they are the parents of one son: Olin G. A., born January 14, 1872. He was graduated from Lafayette College in the class of 1895, and in 1898 received from the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He spent two years in Europe, studying the diseases of the eye, and is now an eye specialist in Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
Augustine Vinton Barker, third son of Abraham A. Barker, was born in Lovell, Maine, June 20, 1849. He was a private in Company E, Fourth Pennsylvania (Emergency) Regiment in the campaign of 1862, and afterward prepared for college at North Bridgton and Norway Academy, Maine, and entered Dartmouth College (Hanover, New Hampshire) in 1868, graduating in 1872 with the degree of A. B., and received from the same institution the honorary degree of A. M. in 1875. After graduating he read law with Hon. E. W. Evans in Chicago for a year, and finished his studies in the office of Shoemaker & Sechler, at Ebensburg, Pennsylvania, being admitted to practice in August, 1875. He had a large and lucrative practice in the courts of Cambria county, the supreme court of the state and in the United States district court until 1890, when, at the death of Hon. R. L. Johnston, president judge of the forty-seventh judicial district, consisting of Cambria county, he was appointed by Governor Beaver his successor. In November, 1901, he was elected as a Republican for the full term of ten years by a majority of nine hundred and sixty-seven, his opponent being Hon. John P. Linton, of Johnstown.
Prior to his elevation to the bench Judge Barker had become interested in coal lands west of Ebensburg, along Blacklick creek, and was mainly instrumental in having the Ebensburg & Cresson branch of the Pennsylvania railroad extended into