|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||501|
and there raised a family of nine children. Richard and Stephen were twins, the latter being the father of A. A. Barker.
Captain Abraham Andrews, a revolutionary soldier and one of the minute men at Concord, whose ancestors settled at Ipswich, Massachusetts, moved to Lovell, Maine, about the same time John Barker moved to Fryeburg, an adjoining town, and Stephen Barker married Betsey Andrews, a daughter of Captain Abraham Andrews. They raised a large family and one of their sons was named after his maternal grandfather.
Abraham Andrews Barker married, June 24, 1842, Orsina P. Little, a daughter of Rev. Valentine Little, who was a graduate of Dartmouth College in the same class with Daniel Webster, and was a distinguished Congregational divine at the time of his death. Her mother was a daughter of Captain Jonathan Clark, a revolutionary soldier, and she was a direct descendant of General Moses Little, who served throughout the Revolutionary war and to whom the general government, at the close of the war, granted in recognition of his services an entire township in New Hampshire which is now the flourishing town of Littleton.
Mr. Barker's education was confined to what he obtained in the country schools before he was sixteen years of age. He was thrown on his own resources early and became a farmer and lumberman, which occupation he followed in Maine until 1854, when he removed to Carroll township, Cambria county, attracted by the oak timber there. He was the pioneer in the manufacture of shooks in this region, employed many men and teams and for years was an important factor in the settlement and upbuilding of the north of the county. In 1856 he removed to Ebensburg to be nearer the shipping point of his product, and also engaged in the mercantile business and the manufacture of pine and hemlock lumber. He was instrumental in having the Ebensburg and Cresson Branch Railroad built, and was its president until it was taken over by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company. He conducted his various business enterprises with great success until 1866, when he joined with him his son, F. H. Barker, and under the name of A. A. Barker & Son, the business was enlarged and continued until 1879, when Mr. Barker retired, and until his death in 1898 he passed his time in travel and temperance work.
He was identified with Neal Dow in Maine in the movement which resulted in the Maine prohibitory law, and all his life worked and lectured in favor of prohibition. The last few years of his life he was a leader in the Prohibition party. He claimed that the Republican party had accomplished its great mission when slavery was abolished, and that intoxicating liquors could only abolished through the medium of a political party, therefore he contributed of his time and money to the Prohibition party. He was very much devoted to the interests of the various temperance organizations, and had held the highest of-