|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|500||HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.|
Shryock, who had just come from Hagerstown with the intention of engaging in the wholesale mercantile trade in Pittsburg. The panic of '37 caused him to delay the movement until it had spent its force. It was during this period he made search for iron ore in the hills around Johnstown, with his pick and a lunch in his pocket, day after day, until he found it on the Seigh farm on the Laurel Run. He, with W. L. and John K. Shryock, built the Cambria charcoal furnaces and others and formed a partnership with Dr. Peter Schoenberger, of Bedford, later the iron master of Pittsburg. Dr. Schoenberger later bought out W. L. and John K. Shryock. Mr. King was the founder of the Cambria Iron Company, and for his connection therewith see article on the Cambria Steel Company; also for the Centennial celebration in 1900, when he was the honorary chairman. See also the political history of the county, and the history of the Civil war in this publication.
He was elected a member of the house of representatives on the Whig ticket in 1854, and for the Cambria, Bedford and Fulton district. He succeeded in having passed a bill to establish the new county of Conemaugh with Johnstown as the capital, but on reconsideration it was lost by one vote. He voted for his friend, Simon Cameron, for United States senator. He was burgess of Johnstown in '63 and '64, and gave a loyal support to the government.
After disposing of his interest in the Cambria Iron Company in 1866, he removed to Lewistown, Illinois, and organized the National Bank there, and became interested in other banks in Chicago, Mason City and Havana. Shortly after the death of Mrs. King he retired from business and returned to Johnstown where he died in his ninety-fifth year.
BARKER FAMILY. The Barker family has been prominent in the affairs of Cambria county for over fifty years, and has been especially identified with the industrial development and progress of the northern part of the county.
Hon. Abraham Andrews Barker, the founder of the mercantile and lumber business now conducted by Barker Bros., was born at Lovell, Oxford county, Maine, March 30, 1816. He came of Puritan stock and his ancestors were among the first immigrants. He traced his ancestry on his father's side to Robert Barker, a member of the Plymouth colony, who removed to Pembroke, Massachusetts, and in 1650 built a stone house there which is still standing, and which was occupied continuously by his descendants as a dwelling house until within a few years. Mr. Barker's grandfather, great-grandfather, and uncle, all named John Barker, served with distinction in Colonel James Frye's regiment in the Revolutionary war. The records show that this regiment marched on the alarm of April 19, 1775, from Andover. At the close of the war his grandfather removed to Fryeburg, Maine, with Colonel Frye, where he obtained a large body of land from the government as a reward for his services,