|You are here: Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2|
|History of Cambria County, V.2|
|HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||495|
ceasing the activities which lay outside his business and which were ever near his heart--effects of splendid manhood and ideal citizenship. He gave liberally of his time, influence and means to church work; he was unstinting in his benefactions, which he bestowed with characteristic silence and modesty. Many an unfortunate man or woman held him in reverent regard for his sympathy and aid; many a youth owed his beginning in business and home-making to his counsel and substantial assistance.
David Dibert married Lydia Griffith, born at Jenner Cross Roads, July 24, 1830. She was the daughter of Allen Connelly and Mary Rhoades Shaffer Griffith, and was of old Welsh stock. Members of the family resided in Liverpool and Chester, England. One of the family, William Elliot Griffith, loaned to the English government the money for building the first bridge across the Thames. His nephew, William, founder of the American branch, came with William Penn to this country. Though Friends in religion, some of William Griffith's descendants took part in the Revolutionary war. William Griffith's son Jesse, residing in Somerset county, married Lydia Connelly. They became the parents of Allen Connelly Griffith. David and Lydia (Griffith) Dibert were the parents of ten children: 1. Frank, married Anna M. Ammon. 2. Scott, married Annie Rosensteel. 3. John Walter, married Clara Bolsinger, died in 1894. 4. Bertha, widow of Francis H. Torrens. 5. Mary Rachel, married Francis J. Torrance. 6. Florence May, unmarried. 7-8. Grant and Sheridan, twins. Grant married Nannie Eva Armstrong; Sheridan died in childhood. 9. Anna June, married William J. Bates. 10. David, married Lucy Julia Wilson' died February 5, 1907. The father of this family died in 1889; the mother in 1901.
Scott Dibert, second child of David and Lydia (Griffith) Dibert, was born in Johnstown, November 1, 1852. His education was received in the Johnstown public schools and at Duff's Business College, Pittsburg. Having decided to engage in the shoe business, he went to Philadelphia, where he spent one year in the shoe factory of Knott, Roney & Dibert, the second largest makers of shoes in that city. Mr. Dibert's uncle, A. C. Dibert, was a member of the firm. In April, 1871, he returned to Johnstown, opening a retail shoe store at 215 Main street, which location he held until the great flood of 1889. The same year he completed the unfinished work of his father in erecting the business block at the corner of Main and Franklin streets. To this fine structure, owned by the David Dibert heirs, Scott Dibert transferred his shoe business. Mr. Dibert, whose integrity, untiring energy and enthusiasm have brought him prominently forward in many business operations, is identified with the phenomenal growth and prosperity of the city in the last decade. He is interested in many enterprises. He is a stockholder and director and was one of the organizers of the United States