You are here:   Cambria > Books > History of Cambria County, V.2
History of Cambria County, V.2

186 HISTORY OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.
of War to be recruited in August and September, 1861. Capt. Skelly resided at Wilmore. As Congress had not authorized regiments to be formed of companies from different States, it was, therefore, irregular, and on November 13, it became a State organization and was designated as above. On October 16 it left Washington City and moved to Ball's Cross Roads, Virginia, where it went into camp, and on November 17 moved to Fortress Monroe. On May 15, 1862, Company G with Companies A, E, H and I were detached and sent to Portsmouth, Virginia, thence to Suffolk, Virginia, under the command of Lieut. Col. Spear.
    Capt. Skelly's Company G served under McClellan while on the Peninsula in '62, performing picket and scouting duties. On December 2 a battalion was engaged in a sabre charge at Beaver Dam Church against a superior force and the enemy was routed. The regiment was armed with sabres and revolvers at this time, with possibly eight or ten Sharp's carbines to each company. January 30, 1863, it took a prominent part in the action at the Deserted House, also at Franklin on March 17. It was active in the siege of Suffolk from April 11 to May 3, and remained near there doing scouting duty for about a year. On June 26, 1863, it was in an engagement at the Virginia Central Railroad Bridge over the South Anna river, near Hanover Court House. The regiment was with Gen. Getty in his raid which started from the White House July 1. Capt. Skelly's Company G, and Company M destroyed the railroad bridge and other public property at Ashland while Lee was at Gettysburg. July 16, Col. Spear was placed in command of the brigade, and Col. Samuel Wetherill of the regiment. During the fall it made several expeditions into North Carolina and other points to clear the country of guerrillas, and in October most of the men re-enlisted for a three year term.
    The regiment left Portsmouth for Williamsburg, January 23, 1864, and remained there until April 8, when it again returned to Portsmouth. Capt. Skelly's company was detailed in February for duty on the eastern shore of Virginia. In the campaign of 1864 it was under the command of Gen. A. V. Kantz, in the Army of the Potomac and the Army of the James, and took a very active part until the close of the war. The regiment was in Wilson's famous raid in June and suffered severely at Ream's Station on July 29. About July 14, Company G was relieved of its special duty on the eastern shore, and on the 16th it was assigned with the entire division to


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Next page

Created: 21 Mar 2003, Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2003, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors