You are here:   Cambria > Books > Souvenir of Loretto Centenary
Souvenir of Loretto Centenary

 LORETTO CENTENARY.89

1795.March 18, Rev. Demetrius A. Gallitzin ordained to the priesthood by Bishop John Carroll, in Baltimore. He had sailed from Rotterdam, August 18, 1792, and reached Baltimore on October 28th following.
1799.August, Father Gallitzin came to McGuire's Settlement and built the first church between Lancaster, Pa., and St. Louis.
1804.March 26, Cambria County was organized.
1810.First census of Cambria County taken.
1811.Bishop Egan, of Philadelphia, administered confirmation in the log church at Loretto.
1819.John Weakland settled at Hart's Sleeping Place.
1826.Canal begun at Allegheny river.
1830.December 10, canal finished to Johnstown.
1831.April, work of construction begun on Old Portage railroad.
1832.August, postoffices established at Jefferson (Wilmore) and at Summit.
1833.May 12, the old cherry tree, the boundary mark at Canoe Place, washed out of root.
1833.November 20, first train passed over the Old Portage railroad.
1834.Boats first transferred from canal to cars on Old Portage railroad.
1835.Second track completed on the Old Portage railroad.
1840.Work commenced on Lake Conemaugh. Completed 1853.
1847.Monument of Father Gallitzin erected. Franciscan Brothers came to Loretto.
1848.Sisters of Mercy came to Loretto. Congregation at St. Augustine detached from Loretto. August 27, corner stone of Franciscan Monastery laid.
1850.December 25, St. Benedict's Church, Carrolltown, dedicated.
1851.Corner stone of new church at Loretto laid. First Mission in the diocese held at Loretto, opening on Low Sunday. June 8, corner stone of the new St. Paul's Cathedral, Pittsburg, laid. June 20, St. Aloysius Church, Summit, dedicated.


Previous page Cover Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2008, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors