geant, 1897-99; and for the present term (1899-1900), Mr. W. J. Little and Miss Sargeant are employed as teachers.
One of the earliest enterprises of any kind for Loretto was a foundry for the manufacture of all kinds of castings useful in that age and locality. It was erected in the years of 1849-50 by Peter J. Little, a son of Barnabas Little, one of the earliest pioneers of Allegheny Township. Peter J. Little moved from Bedford County and occupied the house formerly owned by Lewis Storm, the first undertaker of Loretto. Mr. Storm was one of the assistants at the last mass said by Rev. D. A. Gallitzin, and was the undertaker who had charge of the mortal remains after his death, May 6, 1840. Shortly after this he was succeeded by Mr. Sebastian Fry, who carried on the undertaking business until the year 1890, when he made it over to Mr. James Biter, who continues to ably conduct it.
The Loretto Hattery, at which were made felt hats of fine quality, worn by almost all the residents, was an enterprise of the town for many years prior to and after the death of Dr. Gallitzin. This business was owned and managed by Mr. John Riffle, who died in 1852, and of whom John, James and George were sons. His establishment was on the corner of St. John's and St. Joseph's streets, on lot No. 37, just opposite the present home of Mrs. Margaret McElheny.
Rev. Matthew William Gibson.
Father Mattew William Gibson was born in Hexham England, in 1817, and received his primary education at Ushaw College in the County of Durham, after which he was sent by Cardinal Wiseman to the Propaganda in Rome, where he remained eight years. In 1832 he came to the United States and was ordained priest in Philadelphia in 1841, by Bishop Kenrick. His first charge was at Loretto, Cambria County, where he acted as assistant to Rev. Lemke, the successor of Father Gallitzin, remained there until he was