You are here:   Cambria > Books > Souvenir of Loretto Centenary
Souvenir of Loretto Centenary

 LORETTO CENTENARY.69

furniture, compares favorably with pastoral residences in large city parishes.
    Father Bush also made many improvements in and around the church. He had the interior frescoed, steam heating apparatus put in the church, and hot water in the house; the roof of the church was covered with tin, and the cemetery enlarged. His assistants were Revs. H. S. Bowen, Daniel Devlin and Michael F. Foley.
    April 18, 1890, Rev. Martin Ryan became pastor, and remained in that capacity until March 8, 1891.
    On April 1, 1891, Rev. Ferdinand Kittell, the present pastor, assumed charge of the parish. During his pastorate the old frame church and log barn of Father Gallitzin, being far beyond the possibility of repair, were razed to the ground; the chapel erected in 1832 was rebuilt of practically the same material; the old pastoral residence was repaired, and is again used as a domicile; a tower was built for the church bell, which for many years had rested on trestles on the ground; the Gallitzin monument was repaired, the massive blocks of stone being removed and re-set; the remains of Father Gallitzin were transferred from the original, much decayed coffin to a metallic casket; the front of the church lot was graded and sodded; horse sheds were put up; a two-story frame Parochial Hall, 40x80 feet, was erected at a cost of over $5,000; the space between the pastoral residence and the church built up and occupied; the frame part of the pastoral residence raised to a level with the brick front, etc. For those repairs and improvements, and for current expenses, there has been collected and expended up to September 1st, this year, 1899, the sum of $40,500, and the congregation is practically free from debt.
    Father Kittell found the records of Father Gallitzin, from 1800 to a few days before his death in 1840, written on loose sheets and kept in a box. He arranged the sheets in chronological order, and had them bound, together with the records of Father Lemke, in two volumes. He then copied the subsequent entries down to January 1, 1896, and had them also bound. These bound volumes he took with him to Rome in


Previous page Cover Contents Image Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000-2008, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury, Diann Olsen and contributors