account of the weakness of the tower, was taken down. The architect was Haden Smith, whose plans were revised by Joseph Null, the forman of construction. The contractor was Richard Scanlan. The cost of the building was $13,024.10. Father Joseph Gallagher had the honor of entertaining the Nunzio, Monsignor Bedini, during his visit to Loretto in December, 1853. He was assisted by Father Albinus Magno, C.P., one of the little band of Passionist Fathers, who a short time previously, had established in Pittsburg their first foundation in the United States, and by the Benedictine Fathers of Carrolltown, who regularly for many years afterwards attended to the wants of the Germans of the Loretto parish.
In 1855 Rev. Wm. Pollard became pastor. He added the upper half story to the stone pastoral residence. He was assisted by Revs. John Ford and Francis J. O'Shea.
In November, 1859, Rev. Terence S. Reynolds succeeded to the pastorate. He was assisted by Revs. John Ford, F. J. O'Shea, Pollard McC. Morgan, Edward A. Bush, Andrew J. Brown and Henry McHugh. In the summer of 1868 he was succeeded by
Rev. Michael J. Mitchell, who was assisted by Revs. H. McHugh, Andrew A. Lambing and H. Seymour Bowen.
In the early part of 1870 Rev. Edward A. Bush assumed charge of the parish, and wisely ruled it for full twenty years. From 1854, when the old frame church was abandoned and the new brick one was ready for occupation, the pastors suffered no slight inconvenience in being obliged in all kinds of weather to traverse so frequently the long distance between the pastoral residence and the church. At any rate the former, which eighty years ago was considered a respectable domicile, did not meet the requirements of modern ideas of comfort and convenience; and having more than served its purpose as a residence for the pastor of Loretto, it was fully time to erect a new one. This Father Bush did in 1874, completing the building in 1879. It stands close to the church, and for size, comfort, convenience and