|You are here: Cambria > Books > Souvenir of Loretto Centenary|
|Souvenir of Loretto Centenary|
Nunzio and his cortege to pass through. The address prepared in the name of the Catholics of Cambria was here delivered by Mr. Thos. Collins, the gentleman who represented the county in the Legislature of the State. Very Rev. Father Heyden preached the sermon. The Loretto demonstration in honor of the representative of our Holy Father was most imposing and is talked of to this day.
DEDICATION OF THE BRICK CHURCHThe ceremonies took place on the Feast of Epiphany, January 6, 1854, the Rt. Rev. Dr. Neuman, Bishop of Philadelphia, officiating on the occasion. After the dedication a Solemn Pontifical Mass was celebrated by Bishop Neuman, assisted by Revs. H. P. Gallagher, M. Corbett and J. O'Farrell. The pastors of the churches in Altoona, Hollidaysburg, Carrolltown, Summit and Johnstown were present in the sanctuary and assisted in the ceremonies. Dr. Moriarity, of Philadelphia, who had been announced to preach the dedication sermon, was prevented by serious indisposition from fulfilling his engagement. His place was filled by Rev. Thomas McCullagh, and Rev. Utho Huber, O.S.B., preached in German.
The two former parish churches, log and frame, had borne the name of St. Michael, under whose protection the parish had been placed by its holy founder, Father Gallitzin, in 1799; and it was strange that the new parish church should have been placed under a different invocation, that of St. Mary. Soon after he assumed charge of the parish in 1870 the Rev. Father Bush very properly restored the rightful title.