|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||487|
Becker, of Chest township; Lena, wife of Lewis J. Ream, of Susquehanna, Pennsylvania; Annie, deceased; Clara, wife of Thomas Ream, of Altoona.
Mr. Dietrick was reared on the farm and received his education in the common schools. At the age of sixteen years he was apprenticed to John Winters, of Carrolltown, to learn the tinning trade. He served the full term of his apprenticeship, and then went to Omaha, Nebraska, where he remained about ten months. In the winter of 1879 he returned, and in 1880 he started in the hardware business at this place, in which he has continued ever since. Religiously he is a Catholic, politically a democrat. He has been prominent in public affairs, serving as councilman, school director, etc. He has also represented his district in several conventions, and was a delegate to the State Democratic convention at Scranton that nominated Robert E. Pattison for governor for his second term. Mr. Dietrick married Miss Annie, daughter of John Stoltz, of Carrolltown, by whom he has six children, viz.: Blanche, William, Edwin, Cora, Marie, and Margarette.
WILLIAM H. H. ROBERTSON, a merchant of Morrellville, this county, was born April 14, 1841, at Mechanicsville, Brush Valley township, Indiana county, Pennsylvania.
in 1750, and with his two sisters, Susan and Eleanor, continued the voyage, arriving in Philadelphia. They soon removed to York county, this State, and later went near Bellefonte, Centre county, where Alexander married Sarah Campbell, May 5, 1796, and to them were born children, as follows: Sarah A., William H., George R., Hugh S., Alexander S., Ellen R., John, Reggy, and Benjamin.
Sarah Campbell was a daughter of Hugh Campbell. George Robertson (father) was born near Bellefonte, Centre county, in 18oi, and removed to Indiana county about 1818, and settled in what is now known as Mechanicsburg, and built the first hotel and store of the place. He became an active business man of that section, running a number of teams on the old Pittsburg pike from Pittsburg to Philadelphia, prior to the era of railroads. He also owned and operated a boat on the canal to Johnstown, and drove cattle to Philadelphia and the eastern markets. In 1842 he removed to a farm on Brush Creek, Indiana county, improved it and built thereon a grist-mill, and later removed to a small farm near Mechanicsburg, where he died, January 12, 1865. He was a life-long whig and Presbyterian, and, for a period of about thirty years, served as a justice of the peace.
In about 1827 he married Margaret Sanderson, a daughter of Thomas and Betty (Dill) Sanderson. The Sandersons were likewise of Scotch blood, but were among the old families of Indiana county, where they were prosperous and owned large tracts of land in Brush Valley township.
The children born to the union of George Robertson and Margaret Sanderson were as follows: Alexander S., John S., Thomas S., George W., who served in the Civil War as a corporal, and was badly wounded at the battle