|454||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
and rafted it down the Susquehanna river to market, and in a few years had made a fine farm, which is now well improved and in a good state of cultivation. Patient, persevering and energetic, he made his way slowly but surely, and in 1890 removed to Hastings, where he has resided ever since.
Anthony Anna was married on November 19, 1856, to Mary E. Hahn. To their union were born nine children, of whom six grew to maturity: Charles C., a carpenter and farmer, who now resides at St. Boniface; Jacob W., proprietor of a hotel at St. Boniface; John, Anthony and Thomas, who are now dead; and Matilda, wife of Henry Miller, a resident of Hastings.
Since coming to Hastings Mr. Anna has been kept constantly busy in a public capacity. He is a democrat in politics, and while on the farm, in 1870, was elected as a county auditor. At the end of his term, in 1873, he was elected as a county commissioner and served acceptably in that position for three years, during one year of which time he was president of the board of commissioners. In 1885 he was elected as a justice of the peace in Elder township for a term of four years, and at the expiration of his term removed to Hastings, where he was immediately elected as justice of the peace and re-elected in 1895. While serving his first term at Hastings as justice of the peace, Squire Anna was elected, in 1893, as burgess for one year, and in 1894 was reelected as burgess for a term of three years. He also served for sixteen years as a school director in Chest township, and for one term as a director of the poor for Cambria county. Squire Anna is a member of the Catholic church. He has served efficiently and acceptably in all of the different offices to which he has been elected by his fellow-citi-
zens, and ranks as one of the substantial and active business men of Hastings.
FRANCIS A. THOMPSON, a general merchant of Lilly, this county, is a son of John and Esther (Foster) Thompson, and was born on the old homestead, near Mooresville, Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, June 30, 1845. The Thompson family is of Scotch-Irish ancestry. John Thompson (father) was born in Shaffer's Creek valley, Huntingdon county, September 8, 1800; received his education in the old subscription schools of those early days, and for ten or twelve years taught school in Huntingdon county. In political affairs he was an old-line whig. From 1859 to 1860 he was steward of the Huntingdon county almshouse, and served for thirty-five years as justice of the peace, holding that office at the time of his death, December, 1868. He was a man of good judgment and sound principles, and deservedly popular in his locality. He was for many years an active and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, took a deep interest in religious affairs, and was a great worker in the cause of Christianity.