You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia

450 BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA

family moved to Minnesota, where they now reside.
    Mr. John I. Campbell was reared in Carrolltown and Gallitzin. He was educated in the public schools of this county and finished his education in the classical course at St. Vincent college in Latrobe. After leaving school he entered the service of the Pennsylvania Railroad company as a laborer between Cresson and this borough, and soon after drove a mule in what is now known as the Gallitzin Coal and Coke works. Subsequently he accepted a position as clerk in the general store of F. J. Cristy, of Gallitzin, where he remained until 1885, when he embarked in the newspaper business, starting the Gallitzin News, an independent journal, and the first newspaper published in Gallitzin. In this enterprise he continued for two and a half years, when he sold his plant to Mr. Kilduff, who continued the publication under the name of the Gallitzin Vindicator. It is now owned by W. S. Strickland and has been rechristened the Gallitzin Tines.
    After disposing of his newspaper Mr. Campbell, in partnership with his father, engaged in the harness and saddlery business until April 9, 1888, when he was appointed railway postal clerk in the service between New York city and Pittsburg. On receiving this appointment Mr. Campbell turned over his interest in the harness business to his father. Strict integrity and fidelity in the discharge of his duties have left him undisturbed in his position, where he has remained continuously since his appointment, and he is at present clerk in charge of the railway service. He has been in a number of serious wrecks, notably that near Newport, Pa., when, with all his clerks he was injured, and again in 1895, when the fireman and engineer were killed. Mr.
Campbell has served as a member of the school board in his district, and is popular among his neighbors and fellow-citizens.
    May 30, 1889, he was married to Miss Alice, daughter of Stephen Reilly, of Gallitzin. They have two sons: Lawrence D. and William L. The family are all members of the Catholic church, and Mrs. Campbell is the organist of the church at Gallitzin.


JOSEPH RAINEY, general merchant, undertaker and lumber-dealer of Lilly, this county, is a son of John and Margaret (Noel) Rainey, and was born near Ebensburg, this county, October 14, 1837. His paternal grandfather, James Rainey, was a gunsmith and wheelwright, and followed these mechanical pursuits all his life. He died in 1854. Nicholas Noel, maternal grandfather, was a pioneer settler of this county, locating near Loretto in Father Gallitzin's time.
    John Rainey, father, was born in Huntingdon county, Pennsylvania, in 1805, and when a young man located on a farm near Ebensburg. He resided there until 1847, and in the latter year removed to Hemlock, now known as Lilly, where he died in 1870. In political faith he was a staunch democrat, and in religious belief was a devout member of the Roman Catholic church. His marriage with Margaret Noel, the mother of our subject, who died in 1844, resulted in the birth of nine children, four of whom are now living.
    Joseph Rainey was reared on the farm, and in childhood attended the common schools of his district, where he received his elementary education. But being thrown upon his own resources at an early age he resolved to secure a better education, and later in life earned and saved sufficient money to pay for a business course. When but a boy he began to work


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen