|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||443|
Delaware. There he remained until his death. His remains were brought to East Wheatfield, and interred in the German graveyard, with the rites of the Lutheran church, of which he was a member. In politics he was a democrat until Lincoln's time, when he became a republican.
David W. Brendlinger was married July 4, 1868, to Miss Mattie, daughter of Robert Mack, of Indiana county. To this marriage one child was born, Carrie L.
Mr. Brendlinger's school advantages were few, comprising about three months' attendance at the public schools, and his education was secured almost wholly by his own efforts. He learned the trade of a millwright with his father. He also followed the business of a canal boatman for one year, in 1856, from Johnstown to Pittsburg on the Bingham line. He then took up his trade and followed it for about forty years; for thirty-two years never missing a month. He worked in Cambria, Clearfield, Westmoreland, Bedford and Indiana counties. He now owns a three-fourths interest in a grist mill in Blacklick, Indiana county, and formerly owned a large mill at New Florence, Westmoreland county. At present his attention is devoted wholly to his real-estate interests, which are large and include a peach farm in Maryland, a fruit farm in historic Worcester township, a three hundred acre farm in Dover, Delaware, and valuable real estate in this county.
In 1862 Mr. Brendlinger entered the military service for three months as a member of the Fifty-fourth regiment, company H, Pennsylvania Volunteer infantry, and in August, 1864, re-enlisted in company H, Two Hundred and Sixth regiment, and served until the close of the war, receiving an honorable discharge July 2, 1865. He is a member of
Emory Fisher Post, No. 30, G.A.R., at Johnstown, and of the Presbyterian church.
WILLIAM H. SECHLER, a prominent lawyer of Ebensburg and who served two terms as district attorney of Cambria county, is the eldest son of John and Catherine (Groiner) Sechler, and was born September 8, 1840, at Frankstown, Blair county, Pennsylvania. The common ancestor of the Sechler family in America was of German birth and parentage, coming over about the time of Penn's first visit in 1682, and becoming one of the early settlers in Montgomery county, from which his descendants spread to other counties of the State. Several generations removed from him was Henry Sechler, who was a Revolutionary soldier and fought at the battle of Germantown under Washington. Henry Sechler was a man of some wealth and local standing in Montgomery county, where he was a prominent member of the Reformed church, and where he married and reared a respectable son, who learned the shoemaking trade, which he followed until 1838, when he went from Montgomery to Blair county; where he abandoned the shoe bench and learned the trade of miller, which he followed during the remainder of his life. He assumed charge successively of mills at Cherry Tree, Indiana county, 1849; Mitchels, 1856; Duncan's (Red Mill), 1857; near Indiana, 1858; Duncan's (Red Mill), 1860; Summerhill, 1866; near Altoona, 1868; and near Ebensburg, 1869, when he formed a partnership with his two sons, William H. and George K. He unfortunately lost his sight in 1870, and five years later he and his son, George K., took charge of the Red Mill at Blacklick, Indiana county, which they ran until 1877. He then retired from milling and