|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||407|
of Ireland to America, and become one of the early settlers of Path Valley, in Franklin county. He married an Irish lady by the name of Ann Wallace, and they became the parents of five children, two sons and three daughters. The eldest of these children was William McCartney, the father of the subject of this sketch. He was born in the valley in which the family settled, took up farming and the trade of a cooper as a means of securing a livelihood, and was one of the pioneer advocates and adherents of the Presbyterian faith in that section. He died there at the age of seventy-eight years, universally loved and respected. He married Jane Wilson, and their union resulted in the birth of seven children, three sons and four daughters, of whom James was the eldest son, and the second child in order of age.
James McCartney remained upon the farm in Franklin county until he was twenty-one years of age. In 1836 he removed to Cambria county and located first at Fallen Timber, where he remained two years engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1838 he purchased a tract of woodland containing one hundred and twenty acres and cleared out the farm upon which he now resides, comprising most of the land upon which the village of Mountaindale is built. This land is underlaid with two veins of valuable coal which are being developed and opened to the markets of the country. James McCartney has always been an ardent believer in the tenets of the Presbyterian church, and a strong believer in the principles of the Republican party, and served for a time as justice of the peace in his township, and then resigned.
April 23, 1835, he married Annie Gallagher, a daughter of Hugh Gallagher, of near Fallen Timber, and one of the early settlers of that
part of the township. To this marriage union have been born eight children.
Jamns S. McCartney, son of James McCartney, whose sketch and ancestral history appear above, was born at Mountaindale, Reade township, then White township, July 12, 1848. He was reared upon the farm until eighteen years of age, receiving a good common-school education. After leaving school he was engaged in lumbering until 1873, when he embarked in mercantile pursuits at Lloydsville, remaining there until 1881. Upon the latter date he came to Mountaindale and built a store-house, and has been engaged in merchandizing there ever since. His store-house is 22 x 50 feet, and two stories high, and is well filled with everything found in a first-class general mercantile establishment.
In addition to the above, he is a stockholder and the superintendent of the Eldorado Coal company of Mountaindale, a company that mine and ship two hundred tons per day.
September 4, 1878, he married Laura A. Glasgow, a daughter of John Glasgow, of Glasgow, this county, and four sons bless their union. They are: John Clarence, James Hudson, George Ray and Luther Clifford.
JOHN R. CORDELL, the proprietor of the Central Hotel, of Patton, this county, is a son of Richard and Mary (Clark) Cordell, and was born in Nashville, Tennessee, December 7, 1854. His parents were of southern birth, and residents of Nashville, where his father, Richard Cordell, followed the trade of cabinet-maker. In 1862, while trying to escape from the seat of war, he, with his wife and three children, were killed in a railroad wreck, but two of the family escaping, John R., the subject, who was injured and sent to the hospital, and a sister who died about a