|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||405|
EDWIN E. VICKROY, deceased, a prominent citizen and an intelligent and honorable gentleman of Upper Yoder township, was a son of Thomas and Sarah (Atlee) Vickroy, and was born at Alum Bank, Bedford county, Pennsylvania, March 8, 1801. His paternal grandfather, Hugh Vickroy, was born and reared in England, and came to near Cumberland, Maryland, where he was a pioneer settler. He was a sea-captain on a vessel sailing from Glasgow, Scotland, to Baltimore Maryland. He married Margery Phillips, and their son, Thomas, served as quartermaster in General Clarke's army during the Revolutionary war, when that eminent and daring commander invaded and won the country northwest of the Ohio river. After leaving the army, Thomas Vickroy settled in Bedford county, on the estate still owned by some of his descendants, and engaged in the distilling business, farming and surveying. He took up and surveyed one thousand acres of land in Upper Yoder township, Cambria county, but he never lived upon it, his son, Edwin A., having settled on a part of it. He was a prominent surveyor, having surveyed vacant and other lands in all parts of Bedford, Somerset and adjoining counties, and in early life assisted in laying out one part of Pittsburg, where a street still bears his name. He was an exceedingly busy and useful man, and some of his original draughts are oftentimes produced in the courts. He was twice married, and by these marriages had twenty children.
Edwin A. Vickroy received his early education in an old district or subscription school, which he walked six miles to attend, and then was placed under a private tutor, Robert Way. He learned surveying with his father, and went to Waynesburg, Ohio, where he conducted a
store and traded with the Indians for five years. At the end of that time he returned home and located at Shellsburg, this State, where he conducted a general mercantile store and served as postmaster up to 1833, in which year he came to Cambria county, and settled in Upper Yoder township, where he went into the woods and cleared out and improved the excellent farm which he owned at the time of his death.
On May 15, 1823, Mr. Vickroy married Cornelia Harlan, a daughter of judge Harlan, of Ohio. Mrs. Vickroy was born August 13, 1806, and died August 30, 1880.
Of the thirteen children born to Mr. and Mrs. Vickroy, but eight are living: Louise, an authoress, and widow of Dr. S. S. Boyd, of Dublin, Indiana; Helen, married W. W. Austin, of the State of Indiana; Thomas, a resident of Kansas city; Sarah, of Ferndale; Emma, a resident of Pittsburg, and widow of John Suter; Laura, of Ferndale; Mary, wife of Squire J. G. West, of Ferndale, and Edwin A., Jr., a railroad engineer, who resides in a Southern State.
Edwin A. Vickroy was a believer in the doctrines of Emanuel Swedenborg, and died May 1, 1885. His remains were interred in a pleasant spot in Grandview cemetery, but his memory will be kept green and cherished for long years in the hearts of kindred and friends. He possessed the confidence and respect of all his acquaintances to a large degree, was honorable and honest in all his dealings with his fellow-men, and in his death the community in which he resided lost one of its most active and trusted citizens.
M.A. WESNER, M. D., of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, the originator and principal organizer of the Homeopathic Medical