|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||387|
time to Miss Sarah Ann, daughter of W. W. Harris, of Vinco. To this union one son has been born, viz.: William W. H.
Dr. Wakefield, in addition to his large practice in the line of his profession, is actively interested in matters, pertaining to the public welfare. He has filled very acceptably the office of school-director, and in the spring of 1894 was elected justice of the peace (an office which be now holds) and gives legal as well as medical counsel to his constituents. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum.
ANSELUM WEAKLAND, one of the substantial citizens of Elder township, and a member of an old and distinguished family that came over with Lord Baltimore, is a son of Samuel and Margaret (McAteer) Weakland, and was born in Carroll township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, March 21, 1833. His boyhood days were passed on his father's farm, and he received his education in the early common schools which succeeded the old subscription schools that had come down from pioneer days. Leaving school, he engaged in farming, which he has followed ever since. He has always resided on a farm, and in 1859 purchased his present farm of one hundred and thirty acres of land, which is well improved, highly productive and underlaid with coal. Mr. Weakland is a general farmer, who has made his farm one of the best in the township where good farms are numerous. He is a man of standing and influence in his community, and possesses a well-balanced mind, good judgment and a considerable amount of firmness. He is a member of the Catholic church, in which he has worshiped from boyhood. Mr. Weakland in his political, views has always been a democrat, and a strong advocate of Jeffersonian principles. He has served as con-
stable and as school-director of his township, and held various other local offices, but has neither sought nor desired such honors. He was elected as a director of the poor, and in 1894 as a jury commissioner, both of which county offices he filled creditably.
On May 8, 1859, Mr. Weakland married Matilda Luther, a daughter of John Luther, and a sister of ex-Sheriff Luther. To their union have been born ten children: Aaron, a livery proprietor at Patton; Walter, a merchant of Patton; Samuel, who is a partner in business with his brother Aaron; Amanda, wife of Michael el Ryan, of Patton; Emma, Malvina, Bennett, Ellen and Edward, who are still at home with their parents, and Matilda, now deceased.
The Weakland family, is of distinguished English origin, and the founders of the American branch came over with the colony sent to Maryland by Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore and settled near the site of the city of Baltimore. There is a family tradition that three Weakland brothers came with the first Maryland colony, and that one of them, like Rolfe in Virginia, married an Indian princess, and was the progenitor of the Pennsylvania Weakland family founded by John Weakland, Sr., who came to Loretto before the settlement of Father Gallitzin in Cambria county. John Weakland, Sr., was a Catholic and his dust reposes at Loretto. His three sons, Jephaniah, John and William, came with him; the two elder being married. John Weakland, in 1816, purchased a seven-hundred-acre tract of land in what is now Elder township, and which was patented under the name of "Head's Sleeping Place." On this land he settled and reared his family. He was a member of the Catholic church, and married Catherine Jackson, of Hagerstown, Maryland, by whom he had