|380||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
considerable body of land in that country. One of these Browns, who was born about the commencement of the eighteenth century, had a son who served with distinction as an English officer during the Revolutionary war, and Benjamin Franklin Brown, a son of the latter, had a family of three sons and one daughter. One of these three sons was John Brown, the paternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch. John Brown was a presbyterian, and came from Ireland to Huntingdon county, where he followed farming and teaching. He married a young lady who was a native of Ireland, and to their union were born six sons and two daughters. The third child was Hon. Samuel T. Brown, who was born March 21, 1827. He received a common school education, taught several terms, and then read law with Hon. John Scott, of Huntingdon. After admission to the bar, he was a partner with Mr. Scott for eighteen years. Then Mr. Scott withdrew to remove to Philadelphia, as general solicitor of the Pennsylvania Railroad company, and the firm has been Brown & Bailey ever since. Mr. Brown is an active republican. He served two terms as district attorney, and represented Huntingdon county in the legislature in 1859. He has been for many years the solicitor of the Huntingdon and Broad Top Railroad company, and has been entrusted at different times with matters of great responsibility.
Mr. Brown is an elder in the Presbyterian church, and stands high in his county for ability, integrity, and patriotism, he being one of the number who responded to the governor's call for troops when Chambersbug was burned by the Confederates. He married Sarah J. Leater. Of the five sons and two daughters born to their union are: Lawrence, a coal operator of Hastings, this State; Charles, who
served two terms as district attorney of Huntingdon county; Elmer C.; Ella, wife of Frederick Snare, secretary of the Pencoyd Iron company of Philadelphia; and Robert E., now in the coal business at Philadelphia.
Elmer C. Brown received his education in the public schools and Lafayette college, of Easton, this State, from which he was graduated in the civil engineering course, in 184 Leaving college, he served for three years as mining engineer of the Westmoreland Coal Co., of Irwin, Westmoreland county, and then went to St. Louis, Missouri, as civil engineer for the Consolidated Coal company, but at the end of a year sickness compelled him to return home. When able to give his attention to business again, he became superintendent of the Bloomington Coal and Coke companies of Clearfield county, and opened their mines, which he ran for two years. In 1889 he took charge of the Caledonia and Denton Run Coal companies' mines, which lie managed until 1892, when he accepted his present position as general superintendent of the Chest Creek Land and Improvement company, which had been just organized. The company owned eleven thousand acres of coal, timber, and fire-clay land, and Mr. Brown proceeded to lay out on the lands a town called Patton, which has grown rapidly. The duties of this position are necessarily important.
He is interested in other business enterprises, being vice-president of the Patton FireClay Manufacturing company, which controls fine veins of fire-clay, limestone, and brick clay; a stockholder and director in the First National bank of Patton; president of two building and loan associations; and vicepresident of the board of trade of Patton. In addition to his business interests at Patton, Mr. Brown is president of the Delta Coal