|364||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
In politics Mr. Lantzy supports the Democratic party as being the exponent of the people's true rights and best interests. He has served as a member of the school board, and while holding that office was a member of the building committee that erected the present public school building of Hastings. He is a member of the Catholic church of Hastings, and served on the building committee which erected the present large frame church edifice in which the congregation now worships. Mr. Lantzy has been a prominent and useful factor in the material development of Hastings. He is one of the organizers and a present member, and the treasurer of the Hastings Building and Loan association. He is a stockholder and the treasurer of the Hastings Opera House company, and served as a member of the building committee when the opera-house was erected. Indifferent to the rewards of party service, Mr. Lantzy has always wielded a political influence, but gives most of his time to the management of his own various business interests. He owns a valuable farm of eighty acres of land which is underlaid with coal, and on which are the Campbell & Patterson Coal mines. Andrew Lantzy is by choice, profession and practice a business man, and has the confidence of those who know him on account of his superior commercial qualifications and correct business methods.
JACOB FRONHEISER, deceased, was one of the early, active settlers of Johnstown. He was born in Biedenkopf, Hesse-Darm-stadt, Germany, October 8, 1814. In 1832, desiring to escape the long military service of his native country and to secure the greater freedom of the land across the sea, he emigrated to America. He landed in the city of Baltimore, Maryland, where he learned the
trade of a baker. After finishing his trade he came to Johnstown, where, for two years as a journeyman, he was under the employ of Mrs. Pershing, the mother of Cyrus L. Pershing, now president judge of the courts of Schuylkill county, Pennsylvania. He then purchased a small tract of land on what was known as "The Island," the present location of the Gautier department of the Cambria Iron company's works. He then built a small oven and store-room, and commenced the bakery business on his own account. His business prospered from the start, and he followed it exclusively for about eight years, when he branched out into the mercantile business, renting a store-room on the corner of Main and Clinton streets. At this stand he carried on a general mercantile trade, and furnished supplies for the Pennsylvania Railroad company. As a business man he was far-seeing and shrewd, and he began to invest in real-estate, which speedily advanced in value, and through which he realized considerable wealth. He subsequently built a brick block on the corner of Clinton and Railroad streets, which was destroyed by the great flood of 1889. In this building was located Fronheiser's hall, then the most popular hall for theatrical performances in the town. This property was afterward exchanged for what is now known as the Merchants' hotel property. Mr. Fronheiser, however, did not conduct the hotel, but devoted the latter part of his life to speculations in realty. He died in 1894, at the age of seventy-nine years, four months and one day.
In political affiliations he was a democrat, whilst in religious faith he was a German Lutheran.
He married Catharine Meyer, and nine children blessed this union. They are: Eliza-