You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia

352 BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA

with Louisa McClain resulted in the birth of the following children: James McClain, who lost his life in defence of his country in the late Civil War; Mary, the wife of Alexander Fair, of Avalon, near Pittsburg; John Wilson, now deceased, and subject, who were twins.
    Thomas Clark Loughry received a fair common-school and academic education. He was reared upon his father's farm, and remained thereon until 1882, when seeing a profitable business in truck farming, near Johnstown, he came to the latter place and pursued that line of business until 1892. In 1890 he had established a mercantile business at Morrellville, in connection with his market gardening; so when he relinquished the latter business he devoted his entire attention to merchandizing. In 1892 he founded a general mercantile business at Minersville, now the fourteenth ward of the city, and also operates a store at Waterford, Westmoreland county. The latter two establishments he operates solely on his own account, but the Morrellville enterprise is run under the firm name of Loughry & Galbraith, his son-in-law, W. D. Galbraith, being the junior member of the firm.
    Fraternally, Mr. Loughry is a member of Council No. 946, Royal Areanum; Improved Order of Heptasophs; the Knights of the Golden Eagle; and Isaac Decker Post, No. 631, Grand Army of the Republic.
    It will be seen that Mr. Loughry was very young when the Civil War broke out—too young to enlist—but he was not to be deprived of the pleasure of taking part in the closing scenes of the bloody conflict. He volunteered and enlisted in 1865, in company F, of the Seventy-fourth regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, and served to the close of the war.
    Mr. Loughry has been three times married. His first union was with Jennie C. Cannon,
and resulted in the birth of one child, Jennie, wife of his business partner, W. D. Galbraith, of Morrellville. His sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. His second marriage union was with Clara Bruce, and resulted in the birth of the following children: John Wilson, James H. Bruce, and Mary Edith. The maiden name of Mr. Loughry's present wife was Mollie Boyer; and their marriage has been blessed in the birth of the following children: Millie, Clara, Mabel and McClain.


B. F. MARDIS, D. D. S., the subject of this sketch, is a successful dentist of Johnstown, Pennsylvania. He is a son of Samuel J. and Eliza (Morgan) Mardis. The father died in 1881, but the mother, who is now seventy-one years old, lives in Indiana county, on the old homestead. The ancestors of Dr. Mardis were of German origin. His paternal grandfather was Joseph Mardis. Samuel J. Mardis was born in Bedford county in 1812. He was educated in the common schools of the county, and followed farming and operated a saw-mill all his life. The father of Dr. Mardis was a tenacious republican and conscientious citizen, having always taken an active interest in township affairs. His staunch reliability is attested by the fact of his having held various township offices. He was also a leading member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
    Of Samuel J. Mardis's family four, Eliza A., George, John, and Scott, are dead; five, Agnes, Samuel J., Minerva, Carlon, and Florence Bell, are still at home. Sanford lives at Strongstown, Indiana county; Jasper, a physician of South Fork, Cambria county, the subject of this sketch, and Amanda, wife of I. C. Hogan, now deceased, complete the full number of his large family.


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright © 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen