|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||351|
and became the father of twelve children, eight sons and four daughters.
John M. Lehman was educated in the common schools, and an academy at Bedford, under Professor Lyons' regime. Finishing his education, he embarked in the profession of teaching, and continued in the same until the breaking out of the Civil War, in 1861. In that year he enlisted in the Federal army in company K, Fifty-Fifth regiment Pennsylvania Volunteer infantry, and served nearly two years, when he was discharged on account of physical disability. Subsequently he engaged in carpentering, and continued in that craft until 1891.
Politically he is a republican, and was elected justice of the peace in Coaldale, Bedford county. Then he removed to Brisbin, Clearfield county, this State, where he was continued in the same office for a period of sixteen years. In 1889 he came to Cambria county, and followed his trade for a time, but soon entered the employ of the Cambria Iron company at Johnstown. He continued with that company until 1895, when he was appointed alderman by Governor Daniel H. Hastings to fill an unexpired term. So satisfactorily were his official duties performed that on February 18, 1896, he was elected to that office for a term of five years.
Religiously he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is identified with a number of fraternal and secret organizations. He is a member of Gossrun Lodge, No. 919, I. O. O. F., at Brisbin, Clearfield county; Hartzdale Post, No. 233, G. A. R., at Hartzdale, Clearfield county, and Garfield Encampment, at the same place.
Mr. Lehman and Catharine Walters, a daughter of Samuel Walters, of Fulton county, Pennsylvania, were united in marriage, and to
their union the following children have been born: Cora J., the wife of William Davis; Matilda, the wife of Z. A. Rinehart, of Altoona; Alvaretta; Elizabeth; Jeannette May, the wife of D. W. Howard, of Johnstown; Maude; Harry J.; Edward Garfield and John.
THOMAS CLARK LOUGHRY, is rightfully entitled to rank among the leading merchants of Cambria county. He is a son of Alexander and Louisa (McClain) Loughry, and was born in White township, Indiana county, on December 15, 1846. On both sides of the family he is descended from an old and honorable ancestry, who were among the pioneer settlers of Indiana county, this State. His grandfather, on the paternal side of the family, was James Loughry, who was a native of Ireland, whence about the beginning of the present century, when a young man, he emigrated to America, making his new world home in Indiana county, in that part of it which is now White township. After clearing up a farm, he pursued the arts of agriculture, and also owned and operated a distillery, as was the custom of most of the pioneer farmers of this section of the State. In political faith he was a whig of the old line school, and was a great admirer of Henry Clay. One of his contemporaries in Indiana county was James McClain, maternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch. He was a farmer by avocation, an Irishman by birth, and an old line whig by political affiliation, and took an active and intelligent part in all public matters pertaining to the early history of Indiana county, serving the county one term as county treasurer.