|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||331|
the Presbyterian church, and at the end of their long and well-spent lives were buried in Green Hill cemetery, Fulton county, Pennsylvania. Their family consisted of the following children: Robert, Joseph, Suttia, Nancy, Anna, William W., Elizabeth, Margaret, Ella and James A.
William W. Harris, the father of our subject, was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, in 1816, and died in 1892, at the age of seventy-six years. He came to Cambria county in 1844, and settled in Jackson township, and resided there for the remainder of his life. For a time he was engaged in the lumber business, and for ten or twelve years followed the trade of a tanner.
During the latter part of his life he was a farmer. In religion he was an earnest Methodist; in politics, an ardent democrat. In his younger days he took an active part in politics, and at one time or another filled most of the township offices, and was for many years justice of the peace in his township. He was a man of sound judgment, unimpeachable character, and was highly esteemed by his neighbors. In January, 1843, he married Mary Albaugh, Daughter of Rev. David Albaugh, a minister of the Dunkard church. The Albaughs are of Pennsylvania Dutch descent. Grandmother Harris is a member of the Methodist church, and still lives at Vinco, in Jackson township, in her seventy-first year.
David A. Harris, the subject of this sketch, was born near Hollidaysburg, Blair county, October 26, 1843, his parents moving to Cambria county the next year, as has already been noted. He received his early education in the common schools, and afterwards attended Mt. Union college for several terms. He left the farm in 1871, and came to Johnstown and engaged in teaching in the borough of Coopers-
dale. In 1874 he entered the employ of the Cambria Iron company as time clerk, and has rendered faithful service in that department ever since.
In 1889 Cyrus Tittle, the chief clerk of the time department was drowned, and Mr. Harris was promoted to the responsible position of chief clerk in an office that keeps the records of the earnings, and issues the checks for the payment, of nearly six thousand employees. The system is so perfect in the time office that Mr. Harris is able to keep accurate accounts with this vast army of men with the assistance of but twelve to fifteen clerks.
In December, 1869, Mr. Harris married Miss Margaret J. Cooper, daughter of Col. James Cooper, founder of Coopersdale. To this union were born Jennie C., now the wife of Prof. D. N. Greer, of this city, and Bessie.
Mr. Harris is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and for twenty years has been superintendent of the Sunday-school, and also holds the office of trustee and is a member of the board of stewards. He is a stockholder and one of the organizers of Coopersdale academy, and belongs to the Royal Arcanum and Independent Order of Heptasophs.
HENRY J. KRUMENACKER, a prominent citizen and prosperous farmer and lumber merchant of Barr township, this county, is a son of Joseph and Mary Ann (Myers) Krumenacker, and was born in Allegheny township, Cambria county, June 27, 1841. The Krumenacker family is originally from Alsace-Lorraine, Germany, where Joseph Krumenacker, great-grandfather, was born.