politics and a member of church. He bears up well under the weight of his ninety-two years, and comes of a family noted for its longevity. The Itell family had long been resident in Switzerland, and there spelled their name Eitel.
RICHARD J. BENDER, an enterprising and progressive merchant of Lilly, this county, is a son of Basil and Theresa (Kutz) Bender, and was born in Lilly, May 17, 1870. Basil Bender (father) was born in Imnau, Germany, May 10, 1827, whence he emigrated to America when quite a young man, and located in Lilly, where he was employed in the coal mines until a few years prior to his death, which occurred in 1838.
He was a democrat, and although not a politician, took a great interest in the success of his party. He was a member of the Roman Catholic church, very sincere and devout in his faith, he being one of the leading members in having the first Catholic church erected at Lilly.
To his marriage with Theresa Kutz, who was born in Imnau, Germany, Jan. 16, 1836, and who survives him, and now resides with her son, Richard J., at Lilly, the following children were born: Mary and Catherine, twins, the latter dying when two years old; Herman, Joseph, John, Francis, Charles, and Richard J.
Richard J. Bender received his early education in the public schools of Lilly. On leaving school he commenced work in the coal mines, where he was employed about seven years. In 1892 he engaged in the mercantile business, becoming a member of the firm of Dunn & Bender. About eighteen months later, he, by mutual consent, bought Mr. Dunn's interest in the business, and conducted it himself.
In June, 1896, he removed to his present large store-room on Main street, Lilly, where, by reason of his ability, fair dealing and close application to business, he enjoys the confidence and support of a large custom.
In politics he adheres to the principles of the Democratic party, but does not take an active part in political affairs. He is a member of the Roman Catholic church.
DAVID A. HARRIS, a well-know and highly-respected resident of Coopersdale, a suburb of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is a son of William W. and Mary (Albaugh) Harris. He was born near Hollidaysburg, Blair county, October 26, 1843.
The name of our subject's grandfather was also William W. Harris; he was a native of Pictoa, Nova Scotia, born May 9, 1778. In the year 1800, at the age of twenty-two, he came to Pennsylvania, and settled in Juniata county, where he learned the trade of tanning. He afterwards married Miss Elizabeth Steward, of McCoystown, Juniata county. Soon after his marriage he moved to Williamsburg, Blair county, and carried on the tanning business there for some years; then removed to Coffey Run, Huntingdon county, and carried on the same business until 1824, when he moved to Fulton county, then a part of Bedford county, and bought the Spring Tannery property in the spring of 1826. He continued to conduct the tanning business until five years prior to his death, which occurred March 15, 1864. His wife died three years previously. Besides his business as a tanner, Mr. Harris served for many years as a justice of the peach, and before the advent of the public school system, taught several terms of school for the benefit of his neighbors' children and his own. Both he and his wife were consistent members of