You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia

316 BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA

in the drug stores of Milton C. Kerr, of Blairsville, and Hetrick Brothers, of Indiana, and remained with them up to 1884, in which year he established his present drug house at Gallitzin (changed to Ferguson & Reed in 1891). They have a handsome and well arranged establishment, carry a large and carefully-selected stock of fresh and pure drugs, and have a fine patronage.
    He passed the State Board of Pharmacy in 1889. Beginning the study of medicine in 1887 he entered the Medico-Chirurgical college of Philadelphia, from which he graduated in the class of 1890, receiving favorable mention in all of his branches, ranking third on general average.
    He was elected president of his class, receiving every vote, and returned to Gallitzin, where he formed a partnership in the practice of medicine with Dr. E. T. Bradley, which existed until the autumn of 1892. Since that time he has been practicing by himself.
    On June 28, 1887, Dr. Ferguson married Margaret Bradley, a daughter of Thomas Bradley, of Gallitzin. They have two children living: Paul H. and Arthur A. Dr. Ferguson and his wife are both members of the Catholic church.
    In politics Dr. Ferguson supports the principles of the Republican party, but devotes his time largely to his profession and his business affairs. After practicing for five years he returned to Philadelphia in 1895, and took a polyclinic course, in order to keep abreast of the times in medical progress and advancement.
    Dr. Ferguson is one of the leading physicians in the eastern part of the county, and has built up a practice of large proportions. He is a courteous gentleman and useful citizen, is a member of the Cambria County and
the Pennsylvania State Medical societies, and well read in his profession, where he has already met with such flattering success.
    At the October meeting of the Cambria County Medical Society in 1896 Dr. Ferguson was nominated for the presidency for 1897.


WASHINGTON IRVING STINEMAN, son of Jacob Stineman, whose sketch appears on another page, was born in South Fork, August 23, 1869. He was educated in the public schools of South Fork, and in the Central Pennsylvania college at New Berlin, Pennsylvania, having entered the sophomore year; he was called home at the age of seventeen years to superintend his father's mining interests, the latter having been elected to the office of sheriff of the county. He remained in that position until the formation of the Stineman Coal and Coke company in 1893, when, being one of the organizers of the company, he became its general manager, and has continued as such ever since. This company have their headquarters in Philadelphia, and are among the largest producers of bituminous coal in the State. In addition to this enterprise Mr. Stineman is treasurer of the firm of Stineman Bros., and a director and the treasurer of the Euclid Coal and Coke company.
    Fraternally Mr. Stineman is a prominent Mason, being a member of Summit Lodge, No. 312, and of Portage Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, of Johnstown.
    In politics he follows in the footsteps of his father, and is a staunch republican, and is a co-worker with him in all political work.
    January 12, 1893, he married Nannie James, a daughter of Edmund James, a prominent druggist and business man of Ebensburg, this county. Their union has been blessed in the birth of one child, James Calvin.


Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen