|306||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
for a time in A.J. Haws' cement mill and firebrick works. After his father's death he was employed as a salesman by the late A. Nathan. He left this last position to enter the office of Hon. Judge James Potts, as a student of law. While engaged in the study of law, he also took private lessons in other branches, from Prof. T.J. Chapman and the late Prof. J.W. Trabert. He was admitted to the Cambria county bar, January 5, 1881, and in 1883 was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania; also the United States District and Circuit Courts, and adjoining county courts. Since his admission to the bar, Mr. Walters has practices his profession in Johnstown, and now occupies a fine office in Alma hall. In addition to his other legal business, he is the solicitor of the Baltimore Building and Load association for Cambria county, and has been solicitor for the borough of South Fork, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Walters is one of Johnstown's most loyal and public-spirited citizens, and is always ready to aid in any movement having for its object the increased prosperity of the city or the benefit of its citizens. He is a member and one of the organizers of the Johnstown board of trade, and is a member of the board of directors of the Memorial hospital, having succeeded the late Col. John P. Linton, deceased. He is a worker in, and sustaining member of the Young Men's Christian association, and has been a member of company H, Fifth regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania. He is a member of the English Lutheran church, and has been a deacon and superintendent of the Sunday-school. In politics Mr. Walters is an ardent democrat, and takes a great interest in the success of his party, and for many years has been one of the party leaders in Cambria county. His fidelity
to his party has been rewarded by frequent and sometimes unsolicited nominations for important offices. In 1895 he was unanimously nominated by his party for district attorney, and ran ahead of his ticket, carrying the city of Johnstown, but was unable to overcome the heavy republican majority in the county. In 1890 he was elected solicitor of the city of Johnstown, and in 1892 was re-elected, his last term expiring in April, 1894. He was thus the first solicitor of the city, and left a record of which he may well be proud, as success attended every case in which the city was interested during his term, whether as plaintiff or defendant. From June, 1887 to December, 1889, he was chairman of the Democratic county committee. In 1888 he received congratulations from ex-Mayor Vaux of Philadelphia, upon the fact that his county was the only one in the State to show an increase over the previous Cleveland vote. Mr. Walters is a charter member of the Uniform Rank, K.P., Improved Order of Heptasophs, and Lodge No. 175, B.P.O.E., of Johnstown.
July 30, 1885, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna B. Lewis, then of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania. Three children have been born to them. The first-born, Alklen Thurman, died September 30, 1888. Anna Margaret was born May 8, 1892, and, with Ellen Louise, born June 6, 1896, they are the joy of their parents.
CHARLES B. HAMM, proprietor of the Merchants' Hotel, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is one of the best-known and most successful hotel men in western Pennsylvania, and is always alive to the best interests of his city. His first success was achieved when he was little more than twenty-four years of age.