|298||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
developed a fancy for horses, and when but a youth ran a stage line between Chambersburg and Pittsburg [sic], this State. He conducted this line for thirteen years, first as employee, then as proprietor. He then took charge of a livery stable in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, which he managed for a time, and then for several years drove a stage on the old National Pike, from Brownsville, Pennsylvania, to Cumberland, Maryland, and later was transferred to Pittsburg [sic] Pike.
He enlisted in the Civil War in 1863, with company A, One Hundred and Thirty-third regiment, for nine months. He served first as a private and later as a corporal in charge of an ambulance corps. At the expiration of the time of his first enlistment, he re-enlisted in an independent company, which was afterwards attached to the Twentieth regiment, Pennsylvania Cavalry, in which he served five months. Among the important engagements in which he participated were the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chancellorsville. On leaving the service he formed a partnership with Mr. Shoffner, and, under the firm name of Shoffner & King, conducted a grocery store, and two stage lines, between Johnstown and Somerset, one by way of Stoystown, the other by way of Jenner X Roads. The firm's contract expired at the end of two years, and they dissolved their partnership. Mr. King then engaged in the produce business in Johnstown for a short time, and then, under the firm name of King & Jones, established a lightning rod agency, and for eight years was engaged in placing their products throught Cambria and adjoining counties. At the end of this period, having had considerable experience in the management and care of horses, he was offered and accepted a position as superintendent of
the driving stables of the Cambria Iron company. About the year 1851, Mr. King traveled with such circuses as Joseph Pendleton's, Maby & Crosby's, etc., and later assisted Adam Forepaugh in buying horses.
In 1875 he engaged in the livery business on his own account in Johnstown, and at the present time his livery and feed stables rank among the best in the city.
Mr. King was twice married. His first marriage was with Emma Parsons, a daughter of James O. Parsons, of Somerset county. To this union one child was born, Minnie May. As his second wife he married Miss Sue McGehan, a daughter of M. D. McGehan, an attorney of Ebensburg, this county. His second marriage resulted in the birth of a daughter, Anna Mary.
CORNELIUS HARSHBERGER, a teacher by profession and a member of the grain and feed firm of J. M. Harshberger & Son, of Johnstown, Pennsylvania, is the eldest son of John M. and Catharine (Wertz) Harshberger, and was born on the old Harshberger homestead, in Adams township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, May 15, 1860. He is fourth in line of descent from Joseph Harshberger, who was of German extraction, and was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, and in 1820 moved to a farm in Cambria county, where Moxham now stands (or the Seventeenth ward, Johnstown). He had a family of sixteen children, among whom was the son, Moses, who was born in 1804, and grew to manhood. Moses Harshberger was a farmer and after owning and cultivating the Abner Griffith farm near Walnut Grove, in Cambria county, removed to Adams township, where he died in October, 1885. This farm has been in the ownership of the family ever