|282||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
the natural beauty of the surrounding country, which makes it a favorite resort for artists.
Dr. Conrad is of German and Irish extraction, and unites the energy of the Celt with the thrift of the German. His paternal grandfather, Henry Conrad, was a native of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, who, with his two brothers, emigrated to Pennsylvania about 1826. He settled first in Indiana county, and there our subject's father, who was about eight years old when brought to America, grew to manhood. In 1847 he moved to Somerset county, and soon after to his present home in Scalp Level, where he has been in business as a merchant for nearly half a century.
In politics he has always been a staunch democrat; in religion he is a devoted follower of the doctrines of Martin Luther.
Thomas Gahegan, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was a native of Ireland. He possessed a good education, and was a man of some means. He first settled at Carlisle, but subsequently moved to Somerset county, and purchased a furnace and began the manufacture of "charcoal" iron. He operated this furnace until the great panic of 1837 ruined the iron industry. His education then enabled him to successfully take the profession of surveyor, and his name appears on many drafts of land in Somerset county. He was a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity.
Dr. Conrad began his education in the public schools in the vicinity of his birth-place, but at an early age was sent to St. Vincent's college, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania. From there he went to the Millersville Normal school. He then taught school for eight terms, after which he began the study of law in the office of John Conrad, Esq., at Brookville, Pa. Becoming dissatisfied with the legal profession, he began the study of medi-
cine with the Drs. Yeagly, of Johnstown. In 1873 he began attending lectures at the Eclectic Medical college, of Cincinnati, Ohio, and graduated from that institution in the class of 1877.
He began the practice of his profession at New Baltimore, Pennsylvania, and 1883 he removed to Johnstown, where he has practiced with great success ever since. He has recently built, and now occupies, with his family, one of the finest houses in the city. It is located on Franklin street, in the Fifth ward, and for substantial beauty and convenience it has few rivals.
As might be expected from his energy and warm social nature, Dr. Conrad is a prominent member of several fraternal societies; among others he is a member of Portage Chapter, Oriental Commandery, and of Syria Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine.
In politics the doctor is an enthusiastic democrat, and is prominent in the councils of his party. Six years ago he was the choice of the Cambria Democracy for State senator from the district composed of Cambria and Blair counties, but for party reasons he conceded the nomination to the Blair county candidate.
JAMES A. WHARTON, a farmer and ex-soldier of Clearfield township, is a son of Joseph and Catherine (Bender) Wharton, and was born in Clearfield township, this county, January 16, 1845.