|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||279|
tensive general mercantile business, he is largely interested in agricultural pursuits, and owns considerable farm land.
Politically he is a democrat, and has served as justice of the peace since 1885.
April 17, 1877, he married Annie Pfoff, a daughter of Frederick Pfoff, a farmer of Allegheny township, this county. To their happy union has been born one child, a son, Walter Frederick.
REV. MARCELLUS RETTGER, 0.S.B., the young and popular pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church, at Patton, and St. Patrick's and Seven Dolors' Mission churches of Indiana county, is the youngest son of George and Eva (Wilhelm) Rettger, and was born at St. Mary's, Elk county, Pennsylvania, March 10, 1868. George Rettger was born, reared and educated in Nassau, Germany, and in 1844 came to St. Mary's, then a wilderness, and sixty miles from the nearest town or settlement. He was a carpenter, and worked at his trade during the years of his active life. He died September 25, 1886, aged sixty-eight years.
Bishop of Pittsburg, and served for a short time as pastor of St. Boniface Catholic church, of Allegheny county, during the absence of its regular pastor. In the autumn of 1892 he came to Carrolltown as assistant pastor of St. Benedict's Catholic church, which position he held acceptably for two years, and at the end of that time, in 1894, he was appointed as pastor of St. Mary's Catholic church, of Patton, this county, which has enjoyed his ministerial labors ever since. This church was organized in 1893, and under the efficient and active administration of Father Rettger has grown to a congregation of one hundred and sixteen families. To this field of labor was added St. Patrick's church, of Cammeron's Bottom and Seven Dolors' Mission church, of Indiana county. Energetic and practical, he has neglected no interest of his people, and is now making preparations for a commodious and tasteful parochial school building near St. Mary's church. Besides this school, Father Rettger has many other beneficial measures in contemplation for his different congregations when the proper time for their introduction arrives.
A classical scholar, a pleasant gentleman and an energetic worker, his pastoral labors have been crowned with gratifying success, while his administration has been characterized by prudence and justice.
G. L. GLASGOW, postmaster and merchant of Glasgow, this county, is a son of John and Sarah (Leamer) Glasgow, and was born on the old homestead, Reade township, this county, October 8, 1844. His great-grand father, John Glasgow, the first of this family to locate in America, was a member of a prominent numerous family from Glasgow, Scotland, whence he emigrated, and