|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||273|
White, and seven children blessed this marriage. Five are deceased. Those living are John, and Bridget, wife of Attis Adams, of Minersville.
WILLIAM HENRY HAHN, a self-made man of excellent business character, is entitled to the credit of starting the pioneer meat market of Morrellville, which he still successfully operates. He is the fourth son and fifth child of John and Margaret (Heil) Hahn, and was born near Utford, Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, January 26, 1853. John Hahn was a son of Christian Hahn, and on September 5, 1821, first saw the light of day at Utford, where he learned and followed, for several years, the trade of shoemaker in connection with discharging the duties of a shepherd. In 1854 he came to the United States to find a better home for his family than his opportunities would allow him to provide in the fatherland. He first settled in the State of New York, but soon came to Johnstown furnace, where he worked in the ore mines on Ben's creek up to 1880, in which year he was employed as watchman by the Cambria Iron company, a position that he held until 1888, when he retired from active work. He came by himself to this country in 1854, and the next year sent for his wife and children, who came over on the next vessel sailing for New York.
Owens, of Johnstown; William Henry and Mary, who died when young.
William Henry Hahn was brought in 1855, with brother and sister, by his mother to this country to rejoin his father. He received his education in the common schools, and learned the trade of butcher with his brother Conrad, for whom he worked for two years. Having mastered the butchering business in all of its details, he worked for six months in Pittsburg, and for three months in Steubenville, Ohio, and then opened a shop for himself at East Conemaugh, which he left a year later to form a partnership with his brother in Johnstown. They ran their large meat market until 1884, when he withdrew to open his present business, the pioneer meat market of Morrellville. His market is on Fairfield avenue, where everything has always been kept in the best manner to accommodate his patrons, who are not confined to Morrellville, as first-class goods and courteous attention generally bring custom from a distance.
On April 14, 1879, Mr. Hahn married Sarah Brixner, who was a daughter of Christina Brixner, of Johnstown, and died March 17, 1890, leaving one child, Charles. For his second wife, Mr. Hahn wedded, on September 5, 1891, Emma Sides, daughter of Anna Sides, of Indiana county. To this second union has been born one child, a son named John.
In the great schools of life the only prizes offered Mr. Hahn were those that could be won by self-effort, and he has succeeded well in the contest, having gained honorable position and a comfortable competency. Besides his own prosperous business, he is interested in the Morrellville Building and Loan association, which he is now serving as vice-president. He is a member of Morrellville Council, No. 941, Royal Arcanum, in which
Correction to this page submitted by Debbie Vick:
This lists the wife of William Henry Hahn as Sarah Brixner but says she is the daughter of Christina Brixner. I'm sure they have the last two letters of the name reversed. Her father was Christian Brixner and her mother was Anna Barbara Brixner. It is a typo that could easily been missed because it makes sense the way it is if you don't know who her parents were and if anyone else were looking for this individual it could be misleading. See http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=message&r=rw&p=localities.northam.usa.states.pennsylvania.counties.cambria&m=5420 for the obituary of Anna Barbara Brixner which mentions her daughter as the first wife of William Hahn and the fact that she preceeded her mother in death in March of 1890.