|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||269|
|Irish Presbyterian, and his widow survived him four years, dying at eighty years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Wilson reared a family of six sons and two daughters: Joseph, a farmer, now deceased; Thomas and John, both Armstrong county farmers, now deceased; Samuel, a blacksmith of Tipton, Blair county, who died a few years ago; Polly, who married Archibald Smith, a farmer of Armstrong county--both died at an old age; James; and Jackson, a farmer of northwestern Missouri. James Wilson (father) was born on the old Westmoreland county farm in 1810, and died at Apollo, Armstrong county, in 1852, aged forty- two years. He was reared on the farm, and lived a farmer's life until 1844, when he removed to Apollo, Armstrong county, where he served for eight years as a justice of the peace. He was a man of business ability, had always been a democrat in politics, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife was Jane Brown, a daughter of Andrew Brown, who served as a soldier under General Harrison in the War of 1812, and laid his land warrant on a valuable piece of land in Armstrong county. James and Jane (Brown) Wilson were the parents of six sons and one daughter. The daughter was the eldest, and died in infancy, and the sons in order of age were: Andrew, a machinist of Apollo; John, who died at thirty-three years of age, December 8, 1864, while serving as a soldier in the Union army, and his remains were buried in the National cemetery at Chattanooga, Tenn.; Joseph P.; James P., a millwright, who died at Danbury, Illinois, in 1881, aged fifty years; George W., who served as a Union soldier, and contracted disease while in the service that caused his death, December 23, 1869, at the early age of twenty-one years; and William, who died in childhood.||
Joseph P. Wilson was reared on his maternal grandfather Brown's farm, received his education in the common schools, and in 1846 went on the canal, where he remained up to 1854, in which year he engaged in coal-mining at McKeesport, this State, but did not continue there for any length of time. Soon thereafter the Westmoreland Coal company was organized and opened mines at Irwin Station, where he was engaged in mine service for them from 1856 to 1863. In the latter year he became mine foreman for the Penn Gas Coal company, at Penn's station, which position he held up to 1881, when he accepted his present position as superintendent of the Argyle Coal mines of South Fork. Ten years later, Mr. Wilson opened the Conemaugh mines at Conemaugh, and also has the superintendence of them. He was also one of the organizers and is a member of the Roaring Spring Land and Mining company, operating zinc and lead mines, in Jasper county, Missouri, where they own five hundred acres of land.
On August 5, 1850, Mr. Wilson married Catherine Suman, whose father, Philip Suman, was a resident of near Murraysville, Westmoreland county. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson have been born five children: Anna L., widow of D. L. Masters, of Westmoreland county; John W., assistant superintendent and mine foreman of the Argyle coal mines; Mary Jane, who died at seven years of age; Alice V., widow of George B. Heffner, of Franklin county; Mary, wife of G. W. Schrock, of South Fork.
Joseph P. Wilson is a republican in politics, and served four terms as justice of the peace at Penn station, in Westmoreland county, one term by appointment and three succeeding terms by election. He is a member of Westmoreland Lodge, No. 518, Free and Accepted