|268||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
rest of his life. He was a faithful adherent of the principles of Democracy, and served the public of his community in all of its local offices. He was a member of the Roman Catholic church.
His marriage with Cecelia Burke, a daughter of John Burke, of Croyle township, Cambria county, resulted in the birth of nine children, four daughters and five sons: Mark Burke, deceased; Cyrillis, deceased; Mary, deceased; Rose, a professional nurse in the Pennsylvania hospital at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Ida, a member of the order of Sisters of Mercy, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; Raymond J. and Harold G., twin brothers; Harold is a merchant of Johnstown, and controls all the news routes in and between Johnstown and Altoona; Irene, at home, and Lewis E., a farmer, owning the old homestead.
Raymond J. Kaylor was reared a farmer boy, and received his education at the St. Francis college, Loretto, and St. Vincent college, Latrobe, Pennsylvania, graduating from the latter well-known institution in 1887. Previous to entering St. Vincent college he had commenced to learn the trade of a printer in the office of the Altoona Mirror, and, after graduating, went to Philadelphia, where he finished his trade. Until 1890 he worked as a journeyman; in the latter year he removed to Hastings, and succeeded R. M. Huston as proprietor and editor of the Hastings Herald, now called the Hastings Tribune, an eight-page, five-column paper, published weekly in the interests of the Democratic party, and making a specialty of local and county news, which is given in an acceptable form to the general public of all parties. The Tribune has a large circulation, and is one of the best papers in the northern part of the county,
being one of the three county papers officially filed in the county archives.
Mr. Kaylor was appointed postmaster of Hastings by President Cleveland in 1893, which office he still holds. In religious belief he is a member of the Roman Catholic church.
October 24, 1892, Mr. Kaylor celebrated his marriage with Miss Nellie F. Adams, a daughter of Thomas Adams, of St. Augustine, this county. They have two children: M. Gordon and Madeleine Frances.
JOSEPH P. WILSON, one of the representative business men of Cambria county, and general superintendent of the extensive Argyle and Conemaugh coal mines, is a son of James and Jane (Brown) Wilson, and was born near Apollo, Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, January 26, 1833. The Wilsons trace their ancestry back to the house of Stuart, in Scotland, when a MacCammet, with others of royal blood, was banished by Queen Anne. MacCammet settled in the neighborhood of Valley Forge, in eastern Pennsylvania, and either his daughter or granddaughter became the wife of John Wilson, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch. John Wilson was born near where Washington's army passed through the hardships of Valley Forge, and where his brother, the Rev. James Wilson, served as an army chaplain. A year later, 1778, John Wilson came to the Horseshoe Bend, on the Kiskiminetas river, then in Westmoreland county, and became a pioneer farmer, near the site of the present village of Vandergrift. He was a man of good circumstances for that day, and after some years removed to the vicinity of Spring Church, Armstrong county, where he died in 1837 or 1838, at a ripe old age. He was a Scotch-