|264||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
later, in 1878, to assume the management of his farm, which he left in October, 1884, to open a general mercantile establishment at South Fork. At the end of nearly a year, in September, 1885, he formed a partnership with P. M. Brown, of Wilmore, and J. C. Stineman and Dr. J. C. Luke, of South Fork, under the firm name of Brown, George & Co. They did a large general mercantile business up to April 1, 1890, when they sold to Stineman Brothers, and Mr. George and his son, Harry J., started their present and first regular hardware establishment at South Fork. Their establishment is on Main street, a two-story building, twenty-two by fifty feet in dimensions, and has been thoroughly fitted up for business. They carry constantly a stock of nearly four thousand dollars, and do a business of ten thousand dollars per year.
In politics Mr. George is a republican, and has served as school-director, member of the borough council, burgess, and justice of the peace. He is past commander of D. T. Stineman Post, No. 560, Grand Army of the Republic; commander of South Fork Cmdq No. 61, Ancient Order Knights of the Mystic Chain; treasurer of South Fork Council, No. 74, junior Order of United American Mechanics; treasurer of Lone Star Court, Ancient Order of Foresters of America, and a past officer of South Fork Castle, No. 161, Knights of the Golden Eagle, and a member of Washington Camp, No. 621, Patriotic Order Sons of America. Mr. George has led an active, honorable, and industrious fife, and although unassisted pecuniarily when starting out to do for himself, yet has by good judgment and judicious management secured a fair competency and controls a prosperous business. Pleasant, enterprising, and public-spirited, his highest ambition is to be useful to his fellow-citizens, and
to advance the true interests of his borough. He is a member of the United Evangelical church, in which he has served for over twenty years as a local minister. In every relation of life he has been faithful to duty and honor, and caring but little for distinction, has always acted for the right, independent of interest or popularity.
On July 18, 1858, Rev. George married Mary Paul, a daughter of Lewis Paul, of Croyle township. Rev. and Mrs. George have had nine children: Epanimonidas, in the railway service at South Fork; Mary C., wife of William Rohrbaugh, of Wilmore, this State; William E., a freight conductor on the Pennsylvania railroad; Sylvester S., now deceased; Harry J., a partner in the hardware business with his father; Charles E., a freight conductor on the Pennsylvania railroad; Annie C., a clerk in Stineman & Brothers' general mercantile establishment at South Fork; John L., and Homer C., at home with their parents.
FRED. BLAND, a general merchant and mine operator of Blandburg, this county, is a son of B. Bland and Mary (Yeckley) Bland, and was born in Wurtemburg, Germany, December 17, 1847. He was reared and educated in his native country, and, like his father, was employed for a number of years as a shepherd. In 1867 he emigrated to America, and located in Gallitzin. He learned the trade of a cooper, which occupation he followed successfully until 1877. During this time he acted as foreman for Nutter, Cunningham & Co., coopers, of Johnstown, Pa., for several years, and from 1873 until 1877 was employed by the above firm as a contractor. In the latter year he engaged in the lumber enterprise on his own account, and for five years carried on quite an extensive and remunera-