|258||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
served twenty-four years as magistrate in his native country of Bavaria before coming, in 1842, to Richland township, where he bought the old Squire Horner farm, on which he died in April, 1876, when in the eighty-third year of his age. His son, Joseph Geis, and the father of Mrs. Nees, was born in a Bavarian district in 1821, and came with his father, in 1842, to Richland township, where Geistown was soon laid out and named in honor of the latter. Joseph Geis was successfully engaged in farming for a number of years, but is now living a retired life on his farm. He is a member of St. Joseph (German) Catholic church, and married May A. Fleckenstein, who was a daughter of Adam and Eva Fleckenstein, and died January 16, 1893, at the age of seventy-two years.
Frugal and industrious, the Nees and Geis families are among the useful families of the county, and have brought from their old-world Bavarian home many worthy characteristic traits that are worthy of emulation.
DR. JOHN E. MAUCHER, one of the best posted physicians of northern Cambria county, and now a successful practitioner of Carrolltown, is a son of Francis S. and Anna Mary (Smith) Maucher, and was born in Bavaria, Germany, December 15, 1825.
|medical department of the University of Munich, which he entered in 1846, and where he studied four years. After making thorough preparation in his profession, he practiced for about eleven months with his father. In 1852, believing that the new world offered better opportunities for the young professional man than the old world, he emigrated to America. He first located in Pittsburg, but remained there only a short time, when in February of 1853 he came to Carrolltown, where he has remained ever since. He was the first regular physician to locate in that place. In his profession he has been a general practitioner, he has pushed his studies and his practice a little further along some lines than along others. In obstetrical cases he has been unusually successful, and in his treatment of between eleven hundred and twelve hundred cases, has had but four fatalities. He has also been successful in the treatment of pulmonary diseases, having effected some remarkable cures of this, the most dreaded of diseases. The secret of Dr. Maucher's remarkable success lies, perhaps, more in the fact that he has always been a diligent student, than in anything else. This, coupled with the fact that he has been a close observer, and has carefully noted his observations, has enabled him to diagnose a case very closely—the first and most necessary requisite in the successful treatment of diseases. Prior to 1886, Dr. Maucher was very active as a practitioner, but for the last ten years has preferred to relinquish an out-door practice, and has confined himself to the office. Religiously, Dr. Maucher is an ardent and devout member of the Roman Catholic church, and has been secretary of the church in his community for thirty-six years.|