|234||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
months of his ordination, when struck down by the hand of death; Anthony resides on the old homestead with his father; Joseph Patrick, now attending the medical department of the Western University of Pennsylvania, at Pittsburg; and Helena, who died in childhood.
The boyhood days of Father Ludden were spent upon the Ludden homestead in Ireland, and he attended the national and classical schools at Castlebar. On November 28, 1879, he came to America, and at once entered Mt. St. Mary's College, at Emmettsburg, Maryland, where he finished a classical and scientific course, graduating in 1885. He then entered St. Mary's seminary, of Baltimore, and after completing the required theological course, was ordained to the priesthood on December 17, 1888. He was immediately appointed assistant pastor to his cousin, Rev. O. P. Gallagher, of St. John's church, South Fourteenth street, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.
On April 30, 1892, he was transferred to his present charge. Since he located at St. Augustine, he has shown himself an active and energetic worker in the cause of the church. He has built the magnificent brick church which now adorns the town. It is a brick structure, of the Gothic style of architecture, imposing in appearance, and built at a cost of thirty thousand dollars.
Rev. John J. Ludden is a young man possessed of a deep religious zeal, and of that executive ability and broad comprehension of public affairs and events, that can but contribute to the good of Christianity, and the promotion of the common brotherhood of humanity.
GEORGE K. KLINE, one of the leading and most enterprising merchants of Johnstown, is a son of Wellington B. and
Annie M. (Custer) Kline, and was born in Indiana, Indiana county, Pennsylvania, October 13, 1863. The ancestors of George K. Kline are of German and French origin, but were among the old and early-settled families of Eastern Pennsylvania. His grandfather, George K. Kline, was born in Berks county, March 12, 1807, and died in Indiana county on February 5, 1876, at the age of sixty-eight years. His avocation was that of a merchant and hotelkeeper.
Wellington B. Kline (father) was also born in Berks county in 1840. Having been schooled to mercantile pursuits, he, in 1863, went to Indiana and became one of the founders of the house of Marshall & Kline, one of the oldest dry-goods houses in that section of the State; this partnership continued uninterruptedly until 1894, when it was terminated by the death of Mr. Marshall. Upon that date he came to Johnstown and entered into a partnership with his son, the subject of this sketch, under the firm-name of W. B. Kline & Son.
George K. Kline received his educational preparation for a business career in the public high schools of Indiana, from which he graduated in 1875, and in the Indiana State Normal school. In 1878 he took a position as clerk in the house of Marshall & Kline, thus taking the initial step in the practical drill which has led up to his present commercial success. With that firm he remained until 1891, when he came to Johnstown and embarked in the dry-goods business on his own account; later, in 1894, as stated above, he was joined by his father, and the firm-name became W. B. Kline & Son.
The firm of W. B. Kline & Son is one of the largest and most substantial dry-goods houses in the county, they carry a full line of up-to-date dry goods and cloaks; occupy three floors,