|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||231|
provement relates to certain improvements in railway gates, such as are employed at crossings, etc., to close the road on the approach and passing of a train; and the object of the invention is to provide a device, simple in character and inexpensive in construction, which shall be adapted to be operated automatically by the train as it approaches the crossing in such a way as to close the gates, the device being so arranged that the gates are also automatically opened when the train has passed the crossing.”
THOMAS T. BYRNE, a prominent and successful farmer of Clearfield township, this county, is a son of Augustine and Ann (Driskle) Byrne, and was born in Allegheny township, this county, March 15, 1832.
Burgon, and this marriage resulted in the birth of thirteen children: Bernard, Michael, Augustine, Catherine, Little, Henry, James, Nancy Buck, Elizabeth, John, Thomas, Frances and Mary Ann.
They were a family of farmers, and are now all deceased but Frances, who resides at Carrolltown, this county.
Augustine Byrne (father) was born in Carroll township, April 18, 1807, and died near Chest Springs, Allegheny township, May 8, 1864. He lived in Allegheny township all his life except during a short period spent in Washington township. He was a farmer and a member of the Roman Catholic church.
He married Miss Ann, a daughter of Charles Driskle, of Allegheny township, and to them were born eight children: Michael, of Allegheny township; Alice, deceased, who was the wife of James Adams, now deceased; Thomas J.; Mary deceased, was the wife of L. Leonard Litzinger; Margaretta, deceased; Sarah, the wife of Benjamin Grove, of Chest Springs; Matilda, the wife of John McKensie, of Chest Springs; Cecelia, deceased, who was the wife of Andrew Noel; and George, of Johnstown.
Thomas T. Byrne was reared a farmer boy, and educated in the common and subscription schools of his township. When he began life on his own account, he was employed on the old Portage railroad and remained there two years, and then for the next ten years engaged in the shuck business. In 1865 he purchased the farm on which he now resides, located in the eastern part of Clearfield township, this county, containing one hundred and eight acres, underlaid with coal. At the time of the purchase the farm was only partially improved, and he has since cleared and improved the entire farm, and it is now in a good state