|214||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
and by close observance of this, and the "Golden Rule," he has achieved an enviable record as a soldier and a successful career as a merchant. He has won everything by persistent and self-reliant effort.
HIRAM GOCHNOUR, a trustworthy locomotive engineer of many years' experience, was born in Taylor township, this county, on July 27, 1840, and is a son of Daniel and Catherine (Amesbaugh) Gochnour.
In 1873 he began his career as a railroad man, entering the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad company as a fireman, and remained in that positian [sic] until September, 1881. Upon the latter date, his fidelity as an employee was rewarded by being promoted to an engineer, and he has faithfully served his company in that capacity ever since. His run extends, and has, through most of this long service, from Gallitzin to Conemaugh.
Mr. Gouchnour has made Conemaugh his home since 1873, and is thoroughly identified with its progress and history. He is a progressive citizen, and his aid and influence are cheerfully given in every move tending to promote its progress. He is a stockholder and director in the Conemaugh Water company, the Conemaugh Building and Loan association, and is president of the Independent Fire company of the same place.
On November 14, 1861, Mr. Gochnour married Mary A. McCreery, of Taylor township, and to their happy union have been born the following children: William, who married Mary L. Ressler, of this county; Hiram R., Benjamin J., died in infancy; Ephraim E., who died when nine years of age; Catherine, who is deceased, was the wife of Samuel Burkhart; and Martha J., who died at the age of twenty-five years.
Mr Gochnour and his wife are members of the United Brethren church at Conemaugh, in which organization he is a deacon. Fraternally, he is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and the Junior order of United American Mechanics.
JAMES P. BURNS, well-known as the popular proprietor of the Arlington hotel, Johnstown, this county, was born at what is now South Fork, on November 25,