|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||213|
The name of Anderson is of common occurrence in Scotland, and most of the families there who bore it were more or less closely related. Descended from an Anderson that came from Scotland to Pennsylvania, was John Anderson, Sr., of Bedford county.
The younger John Anderson, the father of Henry Anderson, was born in Bedford county in 1802. After receiving instruction in the common English branches of that day, he learned the trade of carpenter and builder, at which he worked during all the years of his active life. He resided near the town of Bedford, and died September 1, 1853, aged fifty years and eleven months. Mr. Anderson married Elizabeth Ferguson, whose father, William Ferguson, was a resident of Bedford county. Mrs. Anderson was born August 25, 1807. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were born eight children; William, who resides in Illinois; John and James, who are dead; Henry; Rev. Joseph, pastor of a Methodist Episcopal church at Williamsport, this State; Hannah, married David Brown, and resides in Nebraska; Susan, a resident of Nebraska, and wife of Philip Hoover, and Martha, now of Clearfield county.
Henry Anderson grew to manhood in his native county, and was so situated during his boyhood years that he received but six months' schooling, and that in the early common schools of Pennsylvania. Being reared to farm life, when he came to do for himself, he continued to follow farming until 1862. On February 10th, of that year, he enlisted in company H, Fifty-fifth Pennsylvania infantry, and served as a private up to August 30, 1865, when he was honorably discharged from the Federal service at Petersburgh, Virginia. He participated in the battles of Hatcher's Run, the Wilderness, Cold Harbor and Drury's Bluff, Petersburgh, Richmond, Weldon Railroad,
besides numerous skirmishes; was wounded three times; spent three months in Libby prison in 1864; was captured at Drury's Bluff May 16, 1864; four hundred captured; at the same time thirty-two of Company H, and two out of the thirty-two returned to the company; the other member was Samuel Call, of Shellsburg; the other thirty died in prison. After the war he worked on Bedford county farms until 1868, in which year he came to Johnstown as an employee of the Pennsylvania Railroad company. A year later he went into the service of the Cambria Iron company, working for one year as a bricklayer, and then acting as a night watchman for seven years. Leaving the latter position in 1880, he came to Morrellville, where he opened his present grocery store which is one of the first grocery stores of that place. His store is on Chandler street, where he carries a large stock of general merchandise.
On April 14, 1867, Mr. Anderson married Ellen R. Hull, whose father, John Hull, is a resident of Bedford county. To their union have been born five children: Harry, in business with his father; Mary, wife of John Overdorff, of Altoona; John, who died at two years of age; Minnie and Maud, at home.
In political affairs Mr. Anderson has always been a staunch supporter of the Republican party. He has served at different times as tax collector and as school director. He is a member of the Evangelical church, Emory Fisher Post No. 30, Grand Army of the Republic, and Council No. 941, Royal Arcanum. It is a mistake to suppose that men always succeed with ease and without effort. Mr. Anderson is one who has succeeded by commendable labor. When he left home at the age of eight years he had only a silver three-cent piece as stock in hand. He took for his motto this familiar proverb, "Honesty is the best policy,"