|206||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
belonging to the party of which Jefferson was the father.
Mr. And Mrs. Fisher were the parents of ten children, two of them now living, Edgar O. and Luella; of those deceased six were lost in the flood, and two died prior to that event.
Edgar O. Fisher obtained his education in the city schools of Johnstown, and at the age of sixteen left school to accept a clerkship in the store of his grandfather, Geo. W. Osborn, who was a grocer of Johnstown. In January, 1882, he entered the general office of the Cambria Iron company in the capacity of a clerk, and remained there four and one-half years. He then spent one year in the West, and returning home he took charge of the books of a lumber company for six months. He then accepted a position as bookkeeper for the Johnson company in April, 1888, and was soon promoted to the office of paymaster, with full charge of that office until September, 1889, when he resigned to engage in business on his own account. He was appointed notary public on September 1, 1889, and at the same time embarked in the real-estate business, continuing until May 6, 1895, when he was elected alderman, which office he has since ably filled.
In May, 1890, he was elected city assessor by the councils of Johnstown, being the first republican to secure a position under the city administration, which was then Democratic. He is prominently identified with a number of secret and fraternal organizations, among which are: Johnstown Lodge, No. 157, K. of P.; Conemaugh Lodge, No. 191, I. O. O. F., and Johnstown Lodge, No. 175, B. P. O. E., of which he was secretary two years; and Mountain Castle, No. 77, A. O. K. M. C., for fourteen years.
JOHN J. DEVLIN, alderman of the Ninth ward of the city of Johnstown, is a son of John Devlin, and was born in what is now the city of Johnstown. His father, John Devlin, was born in Ireland in 1803, and emigrated to Canada at an early age, where he remained until 1829, when he removed to Johnstown, being one of the pioneer settlers of that place. He was a stonemason by trade and accepted large contracts for masonry and stone-cutting. He lived here during the management of the old Pennsylvania canal, upon which he worked, at different times accepting and executing contracts for that enterprise.
Politically he was a staunch democrat and took an interest in all political matters. He married Anna J. Stuart, a daughter of James Stuart, of Cambria county, and to this union were born, Daniel J., pastor of St. Stephen's church, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; Francis J., a furniture dealer, of Johnstown, and John J. He died in Johnstown in 1889.
John J. Devlin received his education in the schools of his native county. He served an apprenticeship and worked for a number of years at the printing trade, and with the exception of seven years has always resided in Johnstown. In the local affairs of his city Mr. Devlin has always taken a normally active part, and when the city was organized in 1890, he was elected alderman in the ward in which he now resides.
GEORGE MARSHALL READE, who practiced successfully for half a century before the supreme court of Pennsylvania, was one of the ablest and most eloquent lawyers that ever resided within the boundaries of Cambria county.