You are here:  Cambria > Books > Biographical & Portrait Cyclopedia


lantry and courage. To such soldiers we are indebted for the preservation of the union of the States.
    After the close of the war, he returned home and resumed the study of medicine under the preceptorship of Dr. L. T. Beam, of Ligonier. He afterwards taught school for a time, and in 1867 went to Indiana county, and there read under Fr. C. M. Ewing. Subsequently he completed his education in Philadelphia medical colleges, and in 1869 returned to Indiana county, and formed a partnership with his preceptor, Dr. Ewing, with whom he maintained pleasant relations for one year, when Dr. Ewing removed from that place, leaving his practice to Dr. Davidson, who remained there until 1886, when he removed to Ebensburg, where he has since been engaged in active and successful practice. In connection with his practice he runs a drug store. Politically he is a republican, and is a school director of his borough, president of the board of health, and under the administration of Harrison was a member of the board of United States Pension examiners of Cambria county. He is a member of John M. Jones Post, No. 556, G. A. R., of which he is past commander; Highland Lodge, No. 428, I. O. O. F., of which he is a past grand; and Beulah Castle, No. 248, K. G. E., of which he is a past chief. He is a steward and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal church, and takes a lively interest in church affairs.
    On March 4, 1870, Dr. Davidson and Miss Maggie B. Stophel, a daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth Stophel, of Indiana county, were married, and to them have been born nine children: Olive B., married Otto Wagner, a tanner of Buckhannon, West Virginia; Robert E., is taking a medical course in the University of Pennsylvania; Emma M., wedded
Charles White, a miller of Ebensburg; Annie W., clerk in her father's drug store at Ebensburg; and Charles S., Thomas Edison and Lydia are at home with their parents.

SIMON KIRSCH, a prosperous farmer of Barr township, this county, is a son of Joseph and Catherine (Bear) Kirsch, and was born in Alsace-Lorraine, France, December 27, 1820.
    His grandfather, Mathias Kirsch, was a native of France, and came to America in 1777, an under the noble Frenchman La Fayette fought in the Revolutionary War for American independence.
    Joseph Kirsch (father) was born in Alsace-Lorraine, and came to America in 1832, locating on a tract of woodland in Barr township, this county, where he cleared a good farm. Having learned the trade of a weaver, he followed this trade in connection with his agricultural pursuits, and during the winter he threshed large quantities of grain for neighboring farmers. He was a devout member of the Roman Catholic church.
    He married Miss Catherine Bear, and to them were born the following children: Simon, Mary, deceased; Michael, a farmer of Barr township; John and Joseph, both deceased.
    Simon Kirsch was but twelve years of age when his parents removed to this country and located on a farm in Barr township, where he was reared. He adopted the life of a farmer, and in 1847 located on a tract of woodland and cleared about seventy-five acres, reserving about twenty-five acres of timberland; later he purchased an adjoining farm of one hundred acres. His land was all underlaid with coal. And he disposed of a large part of it at a good profit.
    Mr. Kirsch is a member of the Roman

Previous page Title Page Contents Image Index Next page

Last Updated: 30 Mar 2008
Copyright 2000, All Rights Reserved
Lynne Canterbury and Diann Olsen