|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||195|
of years he worked on the old Portage road, and afterward, from 1864 to 1877, became identified with railroading; during a part of that period he was an engineer on the Pennsylvania railroad. From the latter year until 1894 he followed his trade as a carpenter, when, on account of failing health, he was compelled to retire from active duties, and has since lived in comparative quiet at his home in Lilly.
During the War of the Rebellion he served his country as second lieutenant in company G, Tenth regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer infantry.
In politics he is a loyal democrat, and takes a very active interest in all local affairs, and in religious belief he is a devout member of the Roman Catholic church.
His marriage with Miss Mary Murphy has resulted in the birth of eleven children, of whom all are living but two.
Blair Short was born January 14, 1861, near the old homestead of Lilly, and received his education in the public schools of his district. Beginning life on his own account, he worked on the Pennsylvania railroad for a year, and then accepted a position as clerk in a general store at Lilly, where he remained for four years. During the next three years he was employed in the mines of W. H. Piper & Company. In 1890 he opened his present hotel at Lilly -- the Washington House, which is the oldest licensed house in the town.
He takes an active part in political affairs, and is prominently identified with the Democrat party. Served as a delegate to the State convention in 1894 and 1895; was one of the auditors who settled the differences between the borough of Lilly and Washington township, when the borough was first incorporated; has served as borough assessor, and also as
school director of Lilly. He is a member of the Roman Catholic church.
In 1886 he celebrated his marriage with Miss Elizabeth Rubine, a daughter of Christopher Robine, of Lilly. Their union has been blessed in the birth of five children: Pearl, Millard, Gertrude, Myra (who died when a year old), and Ira.
BERNARD O'HAGAN, secretary and bookkeeper of the Cresson and Clearfield Coal and Coke company, is a son of Charles and Susan (Murray) O'Hagan, and was born at Plain No. 5, on the old Portage railroad near the summit, Cambria county, August 30, 1848. Charles O'Hagan, father, was born in County Derry, Ireland, in May, 1808. He was reared on the home farm and emigrated to America in 1841. He located first in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but remained there but a short time. He then removed to Cambria county and located at Plain No. 5, near the summit, and was employed for a number of years on the old Portage railroad. In 1856 he removed to Gallitzin, and died September 15, 1892, at Frugality, Pennsylvania. Shortly after coming to America he married Susan Murray, of Philadelphia, formerly of county Derry, Ireland, and this marital union resulted in the birth of five children, four daughters and one son; Margaret, the widow of John Waters, of Johnstown, Pennsylvania; Susan Alice, a sister in the Benedictine Order, now of Allegheny city, Pennsylvania; Bernard; Catharine Ann, a sister in Mercy convent, Pittsburg, [sic] Pennsylvania, and Sarah Jane, of Allegheny city.