|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||193|
recognition of his efficient services, sent him to Houtzdale, Clearfield county, as superintendent of their mines at that place. In his new field he showed himself complete master of his work, and at the end of two years' service, in February, 1894, the company selected him as superintendent of their collieries, No. 8 and No. 9, of the Sterling mines at Hastings. Accepting his new position he came to Hastings, and has been in charge ever since of these two collieries, in which four hundred men are now employed. Thoroughly conversant with his line of work, and confining his labors to the general routine of the mines, he has engaged in no new departures in the science of mining, yet he has kept up with all late inventions and mechanical devices for lightening mine labor, protecting the life of the miner, and securing a large output at the least possible cost. Mr. Nicholson is rather neutral in politics, and is a Mason, being a member of Summit Lodge, No. 312, Free and Accepted Masons, of Ebensburg.
On March 13, 1886, Mr. Nicholson wedded Nancy Ashcroft, a half-sister to John Ashcroft, of Patton, and a daughter of Thomas Ashcroft, of Phillipsburg, Centre county. They have four children: Thomas Ashcroft, James Herbert, Leslie Raymond and William Frederick.
The Nicholson family is of honorable English ancestry, and for a century or more has had its old-world home in Northumberland county, in the historic north of England, where James Nicholson, Sr., the grandfather of the subject of this sketch was born and reared. James Nicholson, Sr., was an expert in coal mining, and made a specialty of sinking shafts. His services in sinking shafts were employed by William Coulson, Durham, England, who sent him, in 1860, to Prussia, where he sank four shafts for them. He did most of his work
on contract, and was a mine official during the greater part of his life, and died in 1893, aged eighty years.
He was twice married, and by his first wife had three children: James, father of James L. Nicholson; Edward, postmaster at Gerhardsville, Clearfield county; and Bessie, wife of Henry Selway, of England. James Nicholson was born January 2, 1836, and served for several years as deputy foreman of the Monwearmouth shaft, one of the deepest coal shafts in England. He assisted his father in sinking shafts in Prussia, and in 1876 came to Morris Run, Tioga county, where he was engaged in mining up to 1879. He then went to Phillipsburg, Centre county, where, after seven years spent in mining, he retired. He is a democrat and an Episcopalian, and has served as school director and as overseer of the poor. A man of good judgment and general information, his counsel and advice is often sought by his neighbors.
He married Jane Stevins, of his native county, and of their nine sons and four daughters, seven sons and one daughter grew to years of maturity: Mary Ann, widow of Absalom Butcher; James L.; Edward, assistant mine foreman at Hastings; William, Jonathan, John George, Absalome and Frank.
PHILIP H. JONES, a prosperous and influential farmer and lumber dealer of Blacklick township, this county, is a son of Edward and Sarah (Price) Jones, and was born in Blacklick township, July 28, 1841. His father, Edward Jones, was born near Newtown, Montgomeryshire, Wales, where he was reared and educated. He emigrated to America about 1829, locating first in Pittsburg, [sic] Pennsylvania. About 1831 he removed to Cambria county and purchased land in Black-