|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||163|
and has served in the honorable roll of justice of the peace for the long term of thirty-two years, and always with credit to himself and with entire satisfaction to his constituents.
Religiously, Mr. Slick is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and fraternally a member of Emory Fisher Post, No. 30, Grand Army of the Republic, at Johnstown.
Mr. Slick has been twice married; his first union was on March 30, 1848, with Ann Elizabeth Gordon daughter of Peter Gordon, a soldier in the Revolutionary war, who participated in the first battle of Bunker Hill April 19, 1775. This union resulted in the birth of eleven children, as follows: Henry T., Helen M., William A., Alexander, Elmer, Clemena Jane, Franklin, Meade and Dorsey. The rest died young. He married as his second wife Frances Cashun, March 9, 1887, and is now living and owns what is called the old Cashun farm, one mile east of Johnstown, and is at present an acting justice of the peace.
JOHN B. GREEN, M.D., a graduate of the Cincinnati college of Medicine and Surgery, and the Rush Medical College of Chicago, and who has been employed in the successful practice of his profession for nearly a quarter of a century, is a son of Jess and Rebecca (Byers) Green, and was born near Penn's Run, Indiana county, Pennsylvania, January 9, 1849. The Greens are of honest and honorable German ancestry, and Jess Green was a son of Samuel Green, an Indiana county farmer in good circumstances, who lived near the county seat, and reared a family of four sons and three daughters.
Cove, in Blair county, where he was residing at the time of his death. He was twice married. His first wife was Rebecca Byers, whose father, John Byers, was an Indiana county farmer, who removed late in life to Ohio, where he lived to the remarkable old age of one hundred and four years. After the death of his first wife, 1870, at forty-three years of age, Mr. Green wedded Elizabeth Howard, of Washington city, who survived him. All of his children, six in number, were by his first marriage, and were: Dr. John B., Nancy, deceased; Emanuel, of Johnstown; Lincoln, in Pittsburg, and Mary, of St. Louis, Missouri.
John B. Green received his education in the early common schools of Pennsylvania, and when he attained his majority left his father's farm to learn the trade of a carpenter with John Geesey, of Altoona. He served his apprenticeship of three years, and then worked one year as a journeyman. At the end of that time, in the autumn of 1873, he came to Chest Springs, this county, where he did some contracting in his mechanical line of work, and commenced reading medicine with Dr. W. H. Sloan of that place. A year later he took a first course of lectures at the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, and returned to Chest Springs, where he practiced under his preceptor until July 1, 1875, when he went to Indiana county, and worked for a few weeks at his trade. Hen then returned to his medical college, and was graduated in the class of 1876. After graduation he formed a partnership with his preceptor, which lasted until August 1, 1876, when he located at Dixonville, Indiana county, and practiced there up to February, 1883, in which month he removed to Carrolltown, where he was a resident for two years and nine months. At the end of that time he