|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||161|
time. Later he founded a brewery, and until 1895 successfully conducted that line of business. Upon the latter date he relinquished that line, and having previously invested largely in real-estate in the city has since devoted himself to looking after these interests.
Mr. Kress has been actively interested in every measure intended to promote the material interest of Johnstown, and holds a number of positions of trust in connection with its enterprises. He is vice-president of the Citizens' National bank, member of the board of directors of the Johnstown Electric Light company, of Johnstown Passenger Railway company, the Johnstown Chemical company, trustee of the Grandview Cemetery association, of the Johnstown Savings bank, and a member of the Board of Park commissioners.
March 20, 1866, Mr. Kress married Justina Fronheiser, a daughter of the late Jacob Fronheiser, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. Five children have blessed this union: Jacob F., who married Myrtle Zimmerman, and now lives with his father, by whom he is employed as book-keeper; Carl F., who took a course in mechanical engineering at Cornell university, New York, and is now in the employ of the Johnson company; and Edward H., a medical student in Jefferson Medical college, Philadelphia.
BENJAMIN F. SLICK, justice of the peace in Conemaugh township, this county, and a man of intelligence, honesty and probity of character, was born August 12, 1821, in Geistown, then Slickville, in this county. He is a son of William and Rebecca (Hemphill) Slick.
the county he removed to St. Clair township, Bedford county, Pennsylvania. He was a farmer by avocation, and a man of fine physique.
William Slick, father of the subject of this biographical sketch, was born in Frederick City about the time of the Declaration of Independence in America, and died in Johnstown in 1866, at the advanced age of ninety-three years. He came into what is now Cambria county in 1806, and purchased a considerable tract of land, upon which is now located the portion of the city of Johnstown, extending from Market square to what is known as the “point,” or the confluence of Stony creek and the Conemaugh river. He was a tanner by trade, and built and operated for six years a tannery which was located upon the present site of the Carnegie Free library. He sold out in 1812, and removed to the present site in Geistown, three miles southeast of Johnstown. This section was then a wilderness. He purchased a large tract of land, and with characteristic pioneer industry and determination, began the clearing of a farm and the establishment of a home. Upon this farm he lived until 1866, when he disposed of his land, which at that time consisted of three large farms, and removed to Johnstown, where he spent the remainder of his days. He was an old-line whig, politically, but became a republican upon the organization of the Republican party, in 1856. He was a man of many strong traits of character, a great reader, and, possessing a peculiarly retentive memory, he became the possessor of a great store of information of an historical nature. Of strictly temperate and moral habits, his services and councils were frequently sought in matters requiring calm judgment, and for at least twenty years served