|160||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
proved acceptable to the people and to his party, and in 1895 he was, without dissent, re-nominated, and his election followed by a decisive majority, largely in excess of that received in the previous campaign. In addition to his position as district-attorney, Mr. Murphy's talents have won for him an excellent civil practice, he being the legal representative of numerous important interests in his city and county.
These evidences clearly indicate Mr. Murphy's high standing as a lawyer and his influence with court and jury. The future for him seems fraught with promise, and distinction apparently awaits him in the ranks of the profession so much admired and respected by himself.
JOSEPH JOHNS, the first permanent settler in the vicinity of Johnstown, was born in Switzerland in 1750. He emigrated to America and located in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where he was employed for a short time. Thence he went to Berlin, Somerset county, Pennsylvania, removing to what is now Cambria county, in 1791, when he located on what is known as the Campbell tract of land. He built a log dwelling on the flats, near Stony creek, a short distance from where the house of Doctor Caldwell now stands. There he resided with his wife and four children about sixteen year, when he removed to a farm he had purchased in 1804, from John Stover, eight miles up the Stoyestown turnpike, and one mile east of Davidsville. He died in 1810, and was buried on the farm. A board fence encloses a plat thirty feet square, on the summit of a hill commanding a superb view, in one corner of which slumbers the pioneer, his faithful wife by his side.
CHARLES F. KRESS, a typical representative of that intelligent and progressive class of citizens of German birth or lineage to which the progress and development of Cambria county owes so much, is a son of Rev. Charles F. and Henrietta (fremuth) Kress, and was born in October, 1837, in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany.
Rev. Charles F. Kress, father, obtained his education under that excellent system of schools for which Germany has for centuries been noted, completing his education in that famed institution, the University of Geissen. He was ordained to the ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran church in his native country, and preached there about eighteen or twenty years, up to the time of his coming to America. In 1848 he came to the United States. He received his first appointment in this country in the divine vineyard at Newark, New Jersey, and after laboring at other points throughout the country came to Johnstown in 1856, and took charge of the church of his denomination at that place, and remained in that charge until his death, in 1859. His marriage resulted in the birth of seven children.
Charles F. Kress obtained a liberal education, partly in the public schools of his native country and partly under the instruction of private tutors. At the age of about fourteen years he began life on his own account, when he accepted a position as a clerk in a dry-goods store at Zanesville, Ohio; then, after several years of clerical experience in Newark and Dresden, he came in 1857 to Johnstown. Jacob Frouheiser was then, as well as many years afterwards, one of the most prominent business men of the place. Mr. Kress secured a position with him as bookkeeper, and remained with him a number of years, and then went into the confectionery business for a short