|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||147|
an artistic gardener, and the first city florist who planted the public gardens of the city. Later he went to Altoona and engaged in the grocery business; but in 1886 he returned to Johnstown, dying there in the autumn of 1895. He gave a good common-school education to his son, Alvar I. Akers, who left home at the age of fourteen and became a clerk in a company store in Johnstown, where he remained for five years, when he was given charge of the company store of Baker's at Conemaugh Furnace, and was made postmaster at that place, although under age. In this is set forth the honesty and efficiency of Mr. Akers as a youth. He remained there until about 1860, and then formed a partnership with Mr. Frederick Leoch, under the firm name of Leoch & Akers, and carried on a grocery and meat store until the breaking out of the Civil War. Being filled with patriotic ardor and having the spirit of a brave man, he enlisted in company B, One Hundred and Thirty-third regiment, Pennsylvania volunteers, upon the first call, serving the full term of enlistment in the commissary department. For stealing away and bringing the body of his brother John home he was court-martialed. After having done faithfal service for his country he returned home and formed a partnership with Louis and Herman Baumer in 1864, and as the firm of Akers & Baumer the partnership continued until the flood of 1889, in a general mercantile business. He was an industrious, thrifty man and built the house where his widow now lives on Akers street, Eighth Ward, then a woods in Upper Yoder township.
His wife was Catherine Gahr, a native of Bavaria, who came to America about 1857 to take care of an invalid brother studying for the priesthood. She was the mother of fourteen children.
Mr. Akers possessed many of the traits of his estimable father, Wilson Lee Akers, the the latter having been a self-educated man of more than ordinary intelligence, who was a constant reader, well informed on all current events, and also a man of considerable literary ability, contributing to various periodicals. Both were converts to Roman Catholicism; both were men of forceful character; both were good citizens.
DAVID B. WILSON. On the lowlands of Scotland in Roxburyshire, near the town of Kelso, on October 19, 1837, was born the gentleman whose name heads this sketch. His grandfather was James Wilson, also a native of the Scotch lowlands. James Wilson (father ) was born near Kelso, and received his education in his native town, where he also learned the trade of a tanner, but for several years prior to his coming to America, had been employed as overseer on a farm in Roxburyshire. In July 1854, he emigrated to this country and located in Jackson township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, but at the beginning of the Civil War he removed to Johnstown, where he followed his trade as a tanner. After the death of his wife he removed to Conemaugh and retired from active life.