|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||145|
15, 1870. He received his early education in the common schools and graduated from the Conemaugh High school in 1889.
In 1892, in connection with his father, he engaged in the mercantile business of Conemaugh, under the firm-name of D.W. Coulter & Son. On January 1, 1895, when Sheriff Coulter entered upon the duties of the office to which he has been elected, W. P. Coulter purchased his father's interest in the business and has since conducted it alone.
His establishment contains every thing usually found in a first-class general store. By close attention to the details of his business and the enforcement of strict principles he has built up and fostered an enviable trade. His surplus earnings he has invested in real estate, and he now counts to his credit considerable valuable realty in the borough.
Mr. Coulter is not only prominent in the commercial affairs of his borough, but takes a commendable interest in its religious and social features as well. He is a consistent member of the United Brethren church of his borough and prominently identified with Lodge No. 372, F. & A. M., of Johnstown, this county. In politics he affiliates with the Republican party, and takes a prominent part in local affairs.
On August 28, 1892, Mr. Coulter wedded Miss Blanch, a daughter of John Fisher, of Johnstown, this county. This marriage relation has resulted in the birth of one child, Waldo McClay.
JOHN J. GOOD, a retired train dispatcher of East Taylor township, is a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Gochnour) Good, and was born on the farm adjoining the one on which he is now residing, in Cambria county, Pennsylvania,
March 20, 1831. He is a grandson of Christian Good, who owned the farm on which he now resides, and whose father, was a native of Germany. Christian Good was a large land-owner, and a native of Pennsylvania, and died on his farm in East Taylor township in 1852, aged eighty years. He was a great hunter and fisherman, and found enjoyment with his rod and gun as well as food for his table. He was a member and a deacon of the German Baptist church, and married and reared a family. His son, Jacob Good, was born in Conemaugh township, in the last year of the last century, and died in 1873, when in the seventy-fourth year of his age. He was an excellent farmer, and a strict German Baptist, being a deacon in his church, where he was highly respected for his piety and many virtues. He married Elizabeth Gochnour, who survived him until 1884, when she passed away in the eighty-fourth year of her age. She was a member of the German Baptist church, as was her father, Christian Gochnour, who died on his East Taylor township farm in 1852, at eighty-five years of age. He was of German descent, and in early life entertained the ministers of his church when they were often compelled to preach in barns, whose owners generally provided dinner for the whole congregation.
John J. Good was reared on the farm, and after enjoying such meagre advantages as was afforded by the common schools of his neighborhood, assisted in the cultivation of the farm until he attained his majority. He then engaged in the saw-mill business, and two years later became a day-laborer for the Pennsylvania Railroad company, which, in two days after his employment, gave him the position of night watchman. He discharged every duty assigned him so well that he was made