|132||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
James McMillen, president; George T. Swank, first vice-president; Herman Baumer, second vice-president, and James Quinn, third vice-president. The board of trustees are: Herman Baumer, James G. Ellis, John Hannan, Charles F. Kress, W. B. Lowman, James McMillen, James Quinn, John D. Roberts, Dwight Roberts, W. Horace Rose, H. W. Storey, George T. Swank, John Thomas, George W. Moses, John H. Waters and Erhard Zang.
Mr. Lewis is an upright and consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church. He has been a member of this church for fifty-nine years, and is an ardent and devoted church worker. For twenty-five years consecutively he has been superintendent of the Sabbath-school, has been a member of the board of stewards for the period of forty-five years, and for twenty-five years was leader of the church choir.
On September 23, 1847, Mr. Lewis married Catherine Swegler, a daughter of John Swegler, and sister of Captain John S. Swegler, and their union has been blessed in the birth of one son, William J., a teller in the Keystone National bank of Pittsburg. His experience in the flood of May 31, 1889, was similar to that of hundreds of others resulting in the entire destruction of his home and contents, but with his family he escaped death in the flood to commence life anew in vigorous efforts to rebuild and replace losses, and thus assist in building a new city.
William C. Lewis is a gentleman well-known for his strict integrity, probity and uprightness of character, one in whom is reposed the highest confidence of all who have business or social relations with him.
GEORGE A. KINKEAD, a general insurance agent of Ebensburg, Pennsylvania, and a son of Harrison and Pamelia (Stewart)
Kinkead, was born August 1, 1837, in Ebensburg.
His grandfather, George Kinkead, was a lock-keeper on the old Pennsylvania canal, who lived originally in Centre county, but died near Blairsville, Indiana county.
The father of our subject was born in Milesburg, Centre county, Pennsylvania, October 30, 1814, and died in October, 1892. He received a limited education in that county, and learned the trade of a saddler and harness maker, following it in Ebensburg from the time he came there in 1835 to within twenty years of his death. He was a strong Democrat, and had served as a justice of the peace at least forty years prior to his death -- a sure proof of the confidence of the people in his integrity, probity and good judgment. He was also a ruling elder in the Presbyterian church, in the affairs of which he was very active, having been one of the organizers of the Presbyterian church in Ebensburg.
His family consisted of five boys and six girls: George A.; James N. (deceased); Maria L.; Pamelia Jane, wife of A. V. Jones, of Renova, Pennsylvania; Susan H.; David H., who lives in Johnstown, and has charge of the Phoenix Brewing company; Anna Olivia, wife of Fergus C. Lloyd, a merchant of Ebensburg. The remainder died in infancy. The mother of our subject died March 11, 1854. She was a daughter of Alexander Stewart, a native of Scotland, and an early settler of Indiana county.
March 11, 1862, George A. Kinkead married Deborah Evans, a daughter of David Evans, of Cambria county, and has three sons: S. Stewart, who occupied the position of clerk of the Gautier Steel company, of Johnstown, twelve yars and is now deputy register and recorder of Cambria county;