|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||129|
On retiring from the service of his country he again entered the employ of Wardell & Stephenson, and remained with the firm until December, 1863. On severing his connection with the above firm he located in Ebensburg and embarked in the mercantile business on his own account, opening a general store, which he has conducted to the present time. He has been eminently successful, and has built up an extensive and lucrative business.
In political faith he is a republican, and has served for two terms as a member of the Ebensburg borough council. In religion he is an attendant of the Presbyterian church. He is a member of John M. Jones Post, No. 556, G. A. R., of Ebensburg.
On June 26, 1866, he married Miss Frances M. Rogers, daughter of Evan Rogers, of Churchtown, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, whose mother's maiden name was Catherine Jenkins. Miss Rogers was a cousin of our martyred President, Abraham Lincoln. Their marriage resulted in the birth of the following children: Walter R.; John E., who is engaged with his father in the mercantile business; Frances and Ellen, who died in infancy, and Mary R., who is at home with her parents.
WALTER R. THOMPSON, editor, proprietor and founder of the Ebensburg Mountaineer, is a son of James M. and Frances (Rogers) Thompson, whose history appears above, and was born in Ebensburg, October 20, 1867. He received his education in the common schools of Ebensburg, and at an early age learned the trade of a printer. For some time he was employed as a draughtsman in the Johnson Company's works, at Johnstown.
copy. The partnership continued four months, when Mr. Thompson purchased the entire paper, which he has published ever since.
The Ebensburg Mountaineer is a six-column quarto eight-page paper, republican in politics, devoted to home matters and local news and ever alive to the interest of Ebensburg and Cambria county, having an extensive local and rural circulation. The office of the Ebensburg Mountaineer is in the Opera House block, Ebensburg, where, besides editing this newsy paper, Mr. Thompson does an extensive job-printing business.
Fraternally he is a member of Summit Lodge, No. 312, F. & A. M., of Ebensburg, and belongs to the Sons of Veterans, Lieut. Hugh Jones Camp, No. 227.
He is a member of the Presbyterian church, and on February 14, 1891, celebrated his marriage to Miss Anna Frederick, of Homer City, Indiana county. They have two children: Frances M., born June 12, 1892, and Anna H., born September 24, 1895.
JOHNSTON G. WEST, a wounded Union veteran of the late Civil War, and a prominent and leading citizen, as well as an efficient public official of Ferndale, is a son of Matthew Hay and Mary (Glass) West, and was born in Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, November 5, 1843. The American branch of the West family was founded in Maryland, where Joseph West, whose father came from England, was born and reared. Joseph West married and removed to an old stone house on the site of Homestead, Allegheny county, having previously resided for a short time in eastern Pennsylvania. His son, Matthew Hay West, was born in the old homestead stone house on February 22, 1800. He received his early education in the old district