|OF CAMBRIA COUNTY.||105|
William Keiffer, of Cambria county, and Benjamin, who died in infancy.
Samuel L. Stuver attended the common schools of his native township until he received a good business education, and then learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed for five years. At the end of that time he sought for a line of business in which there was a wider field for the exercise of energy and push, and more general contact with the public. He selected the butchering and dairy business, the wisdom of which choice has been fully demonstrated in the exceptional success attending his operations.
He opened his meat market in Coopersdale and laid out his milk routes with such good judgment that success and profit were the results. On May 20, 1896, his firm, consisting of himself, his brother William and Fyock, opened their present large grocery department, in which a heavy stock of the best and most marketable goods are carried. The upbuilding of the extensive business of the firm in its different lines is largely due to Mr. Stuver, whose excellent judgment and push gave an impetus to their enterprise that made it popular and profitable.
On December 24, 1878, Samuel L. Stuver married Mary A. Benshoff, a daughter of Benjamin Benshoff, of Rosedale. To Mr. and Mrs. Stuver have been born five sons and four daughters: Irwin E., John Eli, died in infancy; Anna May, Benjamin W., Harry L., Ira Logan, Mary K., Essie Priscilla and E. Rosamond.
Mr. Stuver's reading and study of religious matters has led him to connect himself with the Progressive Brethren church, in which he is alike active and useful. He is a republican in politics, has held township offices, but gives his time chiefly to his varied business affairs.
Mr. Stuver in these days of keen competition has won because he possesses that rare power of concentration so necessary to achievement, and that inspiration of energy so potent for power. Desirous of success he has never lost his energy or enthusiasm, and by wise decision has always made the best of his opportunities.
FRANK E. FARRELL, Morrellville, Pennsylvania, an enterprising business man, and a member of the firm of Farrell & Kredel, who own and conduct drug stores at Johnstown and Morrellville, is a son of John and Hannah (Grigsby) Farrell, and was born in the city of Philadelphia, April 26, 1865. In the latter part of the eighteenth century we have record of Edward Farrell, of French lineage, as a resident of County Longford, Ireland, where his son, John Farrell, was born. John Farrell left his native island at an early age, settling in Baltimore, where he learned blacksmithing and the trade of machinist. After working for a short time as a machinist he joined the tide of westward emigration, and became a resident of the State of Ohio, where he soon came into prominence as an extensive contractor and road builder. He constructed the present main streets of Zanesville and Cambridge, Ohio, and built in that state over twenty miles of the "National road," or "old pike," besides completing many other contracts of important pieces of work. He married Mary Grace, and died in 1852, leaving a family of eight children, four sons and four daughters, all of whom are now deceased, except one daughter and a son, John H. Farrell, the father of the subject of this sketch.