|104||BIOGRAPHICAL AND PORTRAIT CYCLOPEDIA|
of Jackson township; Hannah married Joel Simmons, a farmer of Jackson township.
Solomon Wagner started in life as a day laborer, but, by his own efforts, untiring industry and honorable business methods, has acquired a fair amount of this world's goods, and to-day finds him in a position of comparative ease and affluence. In 1877 he engaged in the blacksmith business at Fairview, but one year later he abandoned that business to engage in the pursuits of husbandry, and owns a farm of one hundred and twenty-one acrees, adjoining Glen Glade. In 1886 he engaged inmanufacturing lumber, and now owns a saw and planing mill, the annual product of which amounts to about $3,000. Aside from his farming, lumbering and milling interests, he owns a valuable tract of coal land, situated near Glen Glade, and containing one hundred and seventy-seven acres. He mines and ships each year about one hundred car loads of this coal to Ebensburg, whilst about twenty thousand bushels per annum are consumed by the local trade. D. W. Dunwiddie, of Philipsburg, Centre county, Pennsylvania, has leased a part of the coal land, and is now putting in a siding which connects with the Pennsylvania railroad, and the ensuing year will see the output of his mine greatly increased. Mr. Wagner also owns another tract of land of fifty-six acres in Jackson township, and six houses in Glen Glade.
He is a republican, and has served as a member of the school board.
On February 19, 1871, Mr. Wagner and Miss Rachel Shuman were joined in wedlock, and they are the happy parents of six children: Caroline, the wife of Herman Krouse, of Glen Glade; Mary C., the wife of William Krouse, also of Glen Glade; Hannah, the consort of John Wilkinson, of Jackson township; Harriet, William E. and Daniel W., are at home.
SAMUEL L. STUVER, an energetic business man and the senior member of the meat and grocery firm of Stuver Brothers, of Coopersdale, is a son of William and Mary (Brallier) Stuver, and was born in Blacklick township, Cambria county, Pennsylvania, June 6, 1859. He is of German descent, his father, William Stuver, being a son of John Stuver, who was born and reared in Germany and became a settler of Northampton county.
William Stuver was born May 26, 1829, received a limited education, such as his neighborhood afforded, and learned the trade of carpenter, which he followed in connection with farming until his death, which occurred at Rosedale, this county, October 15, 1895. He was a good citizen and an industrious man, and was a member and deacon of the Dunkard or German Baptist church. He was a democrat politically, and though not ambitious or desirous of public office yet served one term as school director in Indiana county, having been elected to that office there. A man of rather retiring disposition, but who never shirked a duty or hesitated to act in case of emergency.
Mr. Stuver married Mary Brallier, whose father was Emanuel Brallier, of Cambria county. Mrs. Stuver was born November 20, 1836. Mr. and Mrs. Stuver were the parents of eleven children, six sons and five daughters -- Emanuel, in Rawlins, Wyoming; Sylvester, now a resident of Fort Collins, Colorado; Samuel L., the subject of this sketch; Christine, wife of James Kelly, of this county; Charlotte A. E., wife of John E. Rodgers, of Braddock, Pennsylvania; Lucy, wife of Lewis F. Link, of this county; Jacob, who died at fifteen years of age; Mollie married Thomas D. Rager, of Cambria county; William, living at Minersville, this county; Susie, wife of